Egg-bound, dropped egg still bad

I would keep her isolated from the others to be safe. Lash egg can be a secondary side effect to an illness that could be contagious. Stay on the safe side and keep your other girls safe.
Ok thank you! She's inside isolated in a bathroom while my other girls are all outside.

Lash egg.. That's what a friend called the egg that she passed the other day. I hate she's so miserable.
1f61e.png
Could this have happened because she's so young? Here is the egg she passed on Saturday. Sorry for all the gross pictures.
That photo of the egg explains a lot. Yes, she passed a lash egg, but it seems like she has more coming out.

There are numerous causes and it's possibly your other girls could be affected. Most common cause is bacterial infection or viruses like Infectious Bronchitis, Mycloplasma G., and ILT.

Did your flock every have any signs of coughing, sneezing, wheezing, runny nose/eyes when they were younger?

The Chicken Chick article has some good tips on prevention, but it's fairly common and sometimes will develop no matter what you do.

Brain glitch, having troubles with the editor:barnie
No one has ever had any problems as babies or now. All always seemed perfectly healthy. Sometimes a random sneeze but it's dry here and they are not common and nothing runny. I'll double check everyone tomorrow for anything runny. They free range and only stay in their coop at night.

Is there a way to treat the whole flock in case? I only have 8 total. I just got these 4 in May, did everything correctly as far as introduction. They were on medicated feed up until a few weeks ago. The floor of the coop is just dirt floor.

Is there a way to treat the whole flock in case? I only have 8 total. I just got these 4 in May, did everything correctly as far as introduction. They were on medicated feed up until a few weeks ago. The floor of the coop is just dirt floor.

There really is no treatment for the flock.
Feed a balanced poultry feed, either layer feed or an all flock/flock raiser, provide oyster shell free choice, have a source of grit, fresh clean water, limit treats to no more than 10% of daily intake. Treats like sunflower seed, fresh fruit/veggies. Keep waterers clean.

Address any issues such as vent picking which can allow bacteria to enter the vent/vagina and cause an infection.
Keep an eye out for any signs of respiratory illness like coughing, sneezing with mucous, facial swelling/runny eyes.

I'm so sorry you are going through this, hopefully this is an isolated incident and everyone else will remain happy and healthy.

There really is no treatment for the flock.
Feed a balanced poultry feed, either layer feed or an all flock/flock raiser, provide oyster shell free choice, have a source of grit, fresh clean water, limit treats to no more than 10% of daily intake. Treats like sunflower seed, fresh fruit/veggies. Keep waterers clean.

Address any issues such as vent picking which can allow bacteria to enter the vent/vagina and cause an infection.
Keep an eye out for any signs of respiratory illness like coughing, sneezing with mucous, facial swelling/runny eyes.

I'm so sorry you are going through this, hopefully this is an isolated incident and everyone else will remain happy and healthy.
Thank you so much for the kind words and advice. I do all of those things as it is so I pray this was an isolated event with her. This is my first sick chicken and it's something I have dreaded dealing with since I got chicks spring of last year. I knew when I got chicks this year and the more I added the chances of illnesses would increase but still hoped it never would happen. I have decided to cull her but I cannot do it myself. I'm reaching out to a few chicken owner friends in the area to look for help. She will have a nice burial and I will probably continue to cry all day but it is all part of it right? It doesn't help that I woke up to a rotted fence post and half of my fence fallen down.
1f644.png

Thank you so much for the kind words and advice. I do all of those things as it is so I pray this was an isolated event with her. This is my first sick chicken and it's something I have dreaded dealing with since I got chicks spring of last year. I knew when I got chicks this year and the more I added the chances of illnesses would increase but still hoped it never would happen. I have decided to cull her but I cannot do it myself. I'm reaching out to a few chicken owner friends in the area to look for help. She will have a nice burial and I will probably continue to cry all day but it is all part of it right? It doesn't help that I woke up to a rotted fence post and half of my fence fallen down.
1f644.png

I'm so sorry
hugs.gif

Since she is not improving and seems to be in pain, you are doing the right thing for her.
It is heartbreaking and tears are a part of it all.

Never fails that something else like a fallen down fence, has to be added to mix.

Hardest thing I've ever had to do. So thankful for good friends whose husbands understand and helped her over the bridge.
1f61e.png
Thank y'all again so much for the help and encouragement. Hoping to not have to deal with this again for a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom