Egg-bound duck!

betsycam

Chirping
Oct 9, 2013
Hello,

My duck is not a youngster getting egg-bound during her first laying season; she is a few years old!

I noticed her off yesterday, and her bottom was pretty low. Not eating, not keeping up with her buddies. So, I caught her up and the area near her vent was hard, definitely egg-bound. I went ot the web and saw people saying to give them calcium and give them a warm tub. Well, I only have calcium orotate powder on hand which is 11% elemental calcium, or Tums. I tried the first, added to water and syringed into her mouth, but she seemed to refuse to swallow it. I put her in the tub for a good long soak, and then put her in a hospital cage. No egg this morning. So, brought her in again for a soak, and palpated through her vent. There are TWO eggs in there! One feels covered by tissue and is offset but closer to the vent. I can actually feel the shell of the one that is a bit further in.

A friend said to lube her up with mineral oil, holding her on her back so it can get down inside. After holding her that way for a good while, I used a gloved finger and probed again; her vent is very tight and I could tell it was uncomfortable for her. I managed to get the deeper one up to the vent such that I could see the it, but her vent won't relax to allow it to pass! I put her back in the tub where she seemed to be straining but nothing.

Tomorrow I will go to TSC and get some calcium gluconate. I was too booked today to get over there as we are in the country and it is quite a drive. Does the calcium allow their vent to relax? Should I massage the vent and try to get it to open up more? My friend said she has actually done episiotomies on ducks in this situation! Why would her vent remain so tight?

My ducks are fed a lay pellet that has oyster shell in it. I suspect dehydration since my DH had put them to bed and I don't think he refreshed their water tub in their night cage. The free range otherwise and have access to water during the day. Any other causes to consider? Again, she is an experienced hen!

Last of all, is there a FB page for poultry emergencies?

I gave her an injection of calcium gluconate and another soak today. Still nothing. Anyone know how often you can give the calcium if no egg is produced within 24 hours? I put electrolytes in her water, too.

Still egg-bound. It seems like the one closer to the vent is caught up in the oviduct, a fold of oviduct over it, whereas the one behind it, further in, doesn't have any flesh blocking it, other than the egg in front. Also, the one caught up in the fold seems sideways or backwards. I've tried to manipulate its position but to no good effect. If I can get her to a vet tomorrow afternoon, what would they do?

Is she pooping? If not, this could kill her quickly. I believe a Vet might gently break the egg, suck the contents out, and then gently remove the shell. Sounds like they’d have to do it twice.
Can you keep her in the dark to prevent further egg build up?
Oh, and to answer your question about calcium, it helps the muscles contract (to push the egg out). So sorry your duck is going through this.

Thanks Skipper81 and micstrachan for your responses. I didn't know that about the round end coming first so I guess it is in the right position. She is pooping. When I put her in the tub she squirts out a poop. I didn't think she was eating but some of the pellets in her cage have disappeared. Got some mealworm treats to put on top so it will be easier to tell if she ate anything. She is drinking a good amount of water with electrolytes in it. Just frustrated that I can't get this solved, not looking forward to paying upwards of $100 at the vet for a $10 duck, but hate to put her down for something that is supposed to be solvable!

She is in a cage in my shop with a cover over it, not totally blacked out but darker than regular daylight. Hopefully that is enough to break the cycle?

Thanks, again!

Spoke to a vet today at a hospital that sees birds who said her situation would require surgery, and I just can't justify the expense. We'll have to let her go.

I think the brand of lay pellets I've been using is problematic, though it contains oyster shell. I had a prolapse on another duck, and thin shells on the chickens, just was in denial about it. This duck's shells are plenty hard as are the other girls, though there has been the occasional soft-shelled egg. Any other additions to feed that help with calcium absorption?

Back
Top Bottom