Egg bound/egg yolk peritonitis/something else?

daniellea2912

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Ohio
My red sex link hen (hatched 4/14/13) has a habit of becoming under the weather every month or two. She always gets a droopy tail, passes egg white looking material and drinks a lot of water. Then she usually perks up over the next 12-24 hours and other than taking a few days off from laying she seems normal. Well tonight she is doing it again. I found her in the nest box standing and looking uncomfortable. She seemed to be pushing. I let her be for a bit then brought her inside. I forgot to add at one point I did set her down and she did poop a small amount but it looked normal (FYI she's never been broody and I don't think that's what's going on) Using gloves and a bit of lube I felt around inside her vent, but other than maybe a little general swelling felt nothing (she did push out some egg white type stuff though) then I bundled her up in a blanket. She slept for a bit. I woke her up and un wrapped her and she are a few seed from their treat mix and drank ALOT of water - which she always does when this happens. Does anyone know if she maybe just has issues with soft eggs busting? I have seen her pass shelless eggs before during these bouts. Or is it something else? It's just weird it happens every so often. She always stands the same way- crouched down in the front, droopy tail... And when she walks around she walks veryyy slowly and gingerly..

She finally just passed a shell less egg. Seemed to perk up afterwards. I'm hoping it's not egg yolk peritonitis, I don't see abdomen swelling. I forgot to mention she did lay a normal egg tis morning around 9-10 am and then passed the shell-less egg at like 730 pm

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I have a 2 1/2 year old hen who is very ill from it now, trying to die, although I am treating her. She has never been sick before this other than having a soft egg break inside of her vent last year. You can try treating with penicillin or baytril injections, but they usually will end up slowly wasting away or sometimes suffering from ascites (fluid in the abdomen.) The only knowledge I have about it is from reading. Just read where she passed the egg--good to hear!

I'm not sure.  I have a 2 1/2 year old hen who is very ill from it now, trying to die, although I am treating her.  She has never been sick before this other than having a soft egg break inside of her vent last year.  You can try treating with penicillin or baytril injections, but they usually will end up slowly wasting away or sometimes suffering from ascites (fluid in the abdomen.)  The only knowledge I have about it is from reading. Just read where she passed the egg--good to hear!

Yes I was quite relieved when she passed the egg and perked up a bit and started chatting a little :) sorry to hear about your hen, hope the treatments you're doing help her!

Back
Top Bottom