Egg bound for over a week

wkshaddon

Songster
Aug 15, 2019
Lane County Oregon
So I'm taking care of my aunt's egg bound hen. she's been in this condition for over a week. I have managed to get her to eat small amounts of yogurt and creamed corn and drink water here and there. But she is feathers and bones and her underbelly from right behind her legs all the way to her vent is bulgy, firm, or swollen. When she is able to poop it's really stinky and it is a very distinct yellow color. She was on death's door until I took her from my aunt and started giving her all kinds of attention and affection and it's been over a week and she's still fighting to get through it and I'm running out of ideas. To me it feels like she has an egg either turned wrong right or too big right below her vent area and also off to the right side of her belly. Does anybody have any ideas of what to do I've already given her warm baths, I have separated her from the other chickens, kept her warm, and comfortable, lubricated her vent, I'm just don't know what else I can do and I'm hoping somebody else does

Last edited by a moderator:
Try giving her a Tum or calcium pill all crushed up. Those will help improve the strength of the contractions so she can push the egg out easier. Put a little vegetable oil or vaseline around her vent and very gently massage her abdomen from front to back. That will help to encourage contractions to happen. But you will have to be extremely careful while doing this so the egg doesn't break. After that, put her in a dark, quiet place so she can try to lay the egg. You may have to do this several times over the next few hours if she doesn't pass the egg.
This is what I posted to someone else's egg bound hen.

Hmmm, can I see a pic?
The first pic shows the lump the best. Sorry about the poo I give her warm bath and have been cleaning her bottom daily. The other pictures give you an idea of just how much weight she's lost. She is practically a skeleton with skin and feathers. I think she weighs less than my cell phone!
IMG_20230501_033837521.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230501_033708297.jpg
    IMG_20230501_033708297.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230501_033655694.jpg
    IMG_20230501_033655694.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230501_033646783.jpg
    IMG_20230501_033646783.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 4
@wkshaddon Hi! I'm sorry about your hen! Have you been giving her calcium citrate? What are you feeding her? Can you give her raw egg yolks, grubs, watermelon, plain yogurt with live cultures. Put nutri drench in her water every other day. When you give her baths is it with Epsom salts?

How old is she? I would continue to treat her, but she might feel better back with her flock. Otherwise, she might lose her spot in the pecking order and get picked on when she returns. At least let her visit them some outside daily. She could be suffering from cancer, internal laying/salpingitis, or ascites from her enlarged lower belly and weight loss. Is her crop empty, full and soft or firm? Does it empty by early morning? Her yellow droppings may be a sign of ascites or reproductive infection.

I feed whatever I can
@wkshaddon Hi! I'm sorry about your hen! Have you been giving her calcium citrate? What are you feeding her? Can you give her raw egg yolks, grubs, watermelon, plain yogurt with live cultures. Put nutri drench in her water every other day. When you give her baths is it with Epsom salts?
get her to eat 😭 which so far is yogurt and creamed corn and crushed up Tums. And water. I do use epsom salt when I be there that's once a day
How old is she? I would continue to treat her, but she might feel better back with her flock. Otherwise, she might lose her spot in the pecking order and get picked on when she returns. At least let her visit them some outside daily. She could be suffering from cancer, internal laying/salpingitis, or ascites from her enlarged lower belly and weight loss. Is her crop empty, full and soft or firm? Does it empty by early morning? Her yellow droppings may be a sign of ascites or reproductive infection.
Well she has been in this condition for 3 wks now so I have my doubts has survived she egg bound. I think I'm gonna lose her tonight. 😢😩

I feed whatever I can

get her to eat 😭 which so far is yogurt and creamed corn and crushed up Tums. And water. I do use epsom salt when I be there that's once a day

Well she has been in this condition for 3 wks now so I have my doubts has survived she egg bound. I think I'm gonna lose her tonight. 😢😩
Is a vet an option?

Back
Top Bottom