Egg bound? HELP

Agree with @Shadrach to start by feeling for an egg. Use KY jelly and a latex glove, and remember that the most important thing is that you do not break the egg - that is life threatening. If don't feel an egg at 2-inches, she is not egg bound. If she is, soak her in a bath of warm water and epsom salt 5:1 water: epsom salt for 15-minutes. Make sure the water and epsom salt covers her abdomen and vent. Then after drying her off, keep her in a temperature controlled, isolated, quiet, stress free place to see if she lays the egg. If an hour goes by and no egg, then repeat this step. If it doesn't work, then go to the vet. If you don't have access to a vet there is one more thing you can do, but I am not the one to coach you through it.

Can you post a picture? You need to examine both more closely for more symptoms. Check their faces for any swelling, discharge, or trouble breathing. Check their crops now and see how/if it changes after a few hours and also check them first thing tomorrow morning when they should be empty to make sure that is the case. Check their abdomens between the legs and vent for swelling or lumps, and check their vents for discharge or anything unusual.

Sugar looks a little pale, but maybe she is just off lay? Either way, when you're checking them over later it'd be a good idea to also look for signs of mites/lice.
She is off lay. And they had both mites and lice last summer and I thought they were gone but they might have come back now that it’s getting a little warmer so I’ll check. I will also check their crops tomorrow morning before dawn

My almost three year old speckled Sussex hen, Sugar, has been acting a little slow, hanging her butt to the ground, sitting often etc. I’m worried she might be egg bound. What should I do?
If you've got some coconut oil, Vasaline will do at a push, catch the hen, grease your finger with the oil and gently insert it into the hens vent. If she is egg bound you will be able to feel the egg.
Start there.

Back
Top Bottom