Egg Bound Hen...I think

Let us know what happens.

I hope your mama recovers. She's a beauty.
hugs.gif

MrsB

Thanks Mrs. B! When I got home she was about the same. I gave her more water with a syringe and she was happy to drink a lot. She did poop but no egg. She's not interested in food. Went back to check on her and she was resting and not interested in more water. I'm hoping she pulls through.

Here is her poop. Semi-runny and green-yellow color. She was ok this morning. Gave her more water via syringe, she fought me a little on that, and she's still resting quietly. No interest in food. Anything else I should be doing for her?

If she's egg bound and didn't pass the egg, she probably wouldn't live beyond 48 hours. I don't think I ever answered that question from before.

Only very strong antibiotics from your vet (or ordered online) can treat what she (likely) has.

At this point, I feel all you can do is make her as comfortable as possible.

I guess she hasn't laid yet?

MrsB

Last edited:
No, she hasn't laid any egg(s). Thank you so much for your help! I wish there was more I could do for her!

Could whatever she has be contagious to the other chickens in my flock? Everyone else has been acting normal...

It is contagious and can spread via water, feeders, and the ground.

I would disinfect any waterers and feeders with bleach... Consider also turning the dirt over in their coop or run.

I feel like keeping her as comfortable as possible and as hydrated as you can is the best thing you can do... don't worry about the food... liquids, liquids, liquids! Keeping her in a dim room can interrupt the laying cycle and MIGHT help give her time to fight off the infection.

At the risk of sounding clinical, if she passes, would you be willing to do a necropsy on her?

I am so sorry for your troubles.

MrsB

Thank you so much for the advice!! I will clean everything thoroughly! I've cleaned before with Oxine, would that do in place of bleach? I'm located in Rochester, NY so I believe I could send her to Cornell if it comes to that. Fingers are still crossed she will make it. I do have Tylan 50 on hand, would it be worth it to start her on that?

Back
Top Bottom