Egg bound hen? Lethargic, tail down, wings dragging.

Gatorade, pedialyte, or water with a little sugar can also be used. Do you provide grit for your chickens to eat as they need it? She could be having a reproductive issue, infection, worms or even coccidiosis, since she is new on your soil. Corid can treat for coccidiosis, if you think that could be an issue or cannot get a fecal float done by a vet. Worming can be done with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or horse paste. An antibiotic such as Fish Mox amoxicillin could help if she has some infection. Reproductive infection or internal laying issues are vety common in hens. I would just try to get her drinking and eating. Check her crop in early morning to see if things are emptying normally. With a puffy soft crop in early morning, sour crop might be a problem if her beak smells sour or bad if you massage ber crop. A slow crop can happen when they are having reproductive issues.

I think I'm going to have to put her down. I dont have time to take care of her like she deserves she's laying down now and will only open her eyes if I pick her up. If I set her on her feet she stumbles around. I should have started taking better care of her before she got this bad. She is so thin as it is I can feel all the way down her keel bone to her ribs. I dont think she will survive to tonight. What's the best method to put her down where I wont have to see alot.

You could try making her comfortable with food and water within her reach if she is dying. But if you want to go ahead and put her down, so that she won’t suffer, it helps to use a method that is quick. I usually hang them upside down in a cone or hang them with a twine from a tree, and slice the jugular with the sharpest knife you have. It takes a minute or two to bleed out. Using loppers to cut off the head is another method. The other method many use is the broomstick method of cervical dislocation. It is hard ro cull one, but good to not let her suffer.

You could try making her comfortable with food and water within her reach if she is dying. But if you want to go ahead and put her down, so that she won’t suffer, it helps to use a method that is quick. I usually hang them upside down in a cone or hang them with a twine from a tree, and slice the jugular with the sharpest knife you have. It takes a minute or two to bleed out. Using loppers to cut off the head is another method. The other method many use is the broomstick method of cervical dislocation. It is hard ro cull one, but good to not let her suffer.
She has been sleeping alot so I think I'm going to let her sleep in the barn to die peacefully with food and water within reach like you said. If she makes it till Monday I will have my dad put her down he is on a trip right now and I dont think I have it in me.

I went into the barn at 1pm to check on her and she was dead. I'm just glad I didn't get too attached to her in the week I had her. It's still very sad though.

Back
Top Bottom