Egg bound hen. PLEASE help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick Lover, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Chick Lover

Chick Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    Hi,

So my Silver Laced Wyandotte hen was egg bound, thankfully she passed the egg.(This is only the second time I've had to deal with an egg bound hen) But know, it's about a week and a half later and she's acting like she's egg bound again? She's is a brand new layer and has only been laying for about 3 months. Is this going to be a reaccuring problem? Why did it happen again? What should I do? [​IMG]

Thank you for any help!!!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. mpcardona

mpcardona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
  3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    If she is eggbound again so soon, then you may have a problematic layer on your hands. I have one, so don't feel alone.

New layers can be funky layers. The plumbing takes a few months to work out all the kinks, and in the meantime you can get some pretty unusual results. So, it's kind of like "anything goes" in the first few months, and it is not prudent to start worrying too much about any oddities at first. Keep watch and take note of them for future reference, but don't worry overmuch.

There is only so much you can do if the bird you have been watching actually starts to show a pattern of laying problems. You can feed a good quality food, make sure they always have access to fresh water and make free choice oyster shell available. You can minimize disturbances by having enough nesting boxes for the flock.

You know how to deal with egg-binding, so if you suspect she is eggbound, you know the drill- warm baths, olive oil up the vent, TLC- until the egg passes. She may have this happen repeatedly or this may be just a passing phase until she gets used to laying. If she continues to have laying issues then you could be dealing with a problematic layer, and that is a discussion for a later date.

Let's just assume at the moment that she is a newbie, and she will work things out after a warm bath (or a few warm baths) and some lube up the vent.

Keep us posted on how she is doing.

4. Chick Lover

Jan 27, 2012
    Thank you both for responding! I appriciate it!
    She's doing better again, but I'm worried it will happen a third time. I'm thinking if this is going to be a reaccuring problem that she's going to have to go in the stew pot..I know that sounds cold hearted, but I can't keep giving her special treatmeant. She is such a sweet hen, it makes me feel terrible! [​IMG]
    I hope it doesn't happen again, I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

5. Chick Lover

Jan 27, 2012
    I'm fairly certain that it isn't a calcium problem...all of my chickens get oyster shells with their regular layers mash and wheat screenings every day....and it only seems to be her that is having a problem.[​IMG]

6. mpcardona

mpcardona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    I was only throwing it out there, wasn't even really sure. I hope she get better.

7. Chick Lover

Jan 27, 2012
    Thank you. [​IMG]

8. Chick Lover

Jan 27, 2012
    Well, it's been a couple of days and she is acting perfectly normal again! Yay! [​IMG]

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Glad to hear it. Good luck with her.

10. Chick Lover

Jan 27, 2012
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by