Egg bound hen. Urgent

chickencreek

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 10, 2014
SW Washington
my buff orpington hen has been egg bound for a few days and i only realized it today. she wont eat, drink or move. I've given her an Epson salt bath, calcium, and even preparation H. I'm afraid that if she doesn't pass her egg tonight that she will die. Is there anything else I can do?

Last edited:
Have you felt inside the vent to see if you can feel the egg?
Is she pooping at all?

Being truly egg bound is very serious and a hen won't survive for more than 24-48hrs. If you have vet care, that is best.

It sounds like you are doing what you can for her. Does she have any swelling in the abdomen? You mention she won't move - is that because she is in pain or does she act like she is paralyzed?

Sorry i am late to reply. I didn't feel in her vent because i nearly threw up trying to. But she wasn't pooping at all until just now (11:30 pm), she just pooped out a big glob of greenish poo. She can move but she doesn't because she is in pain. She will sometimes stand and re-position herself, so she's not paralyzed. Maybe after all that I've done for her she just needs to relax, I have her in my bathroom with a dim nightlight and it is a nice temperature in there. I just have to hope that she is still holding on in the morning. Oh and her Abdomen did seem to be a little bit swollen, nothing major though, could just be all the poo blocked up.

Sorry i am late to reply. I didn't feel in her vent because i nearly threw up trying to. But she wasn't pooping at all until just now (11:30 pm), she just pooped out a big glob of greenish poo. She can move but she doesn't because she is in pain. She will sometimes stand and re-position herself, so she's not paralyzed. Maybe after all that I've done for her she just needs to relax, I have her in my bathroom with a dim nightlight and it is a nice temperature in there. I just have to hope that she is still holding on in the morning. Oh and her Abdomen did seem to be a little bit swollen, nothing major though, could just be all the poo blocked up.

Is her crop empty this morning?
Try to get her hydrated, if she is having troubles with an egg, dehydration makes it worse.
Do you have a helper that can feel inside to see if there is an egg?

Yeah her crop is almost empty now, should I feed her food, and what should I feed her? I was thinking i shouldnt feed her much because she will just have to poop even more. And I gave her a good amount of water and a some more calcium, she also had another epson salt bath. No one else in my house would try to feel for an egg in her, I can try again today though.

I would make sure that she is drinking well. You can limit her food, but if she is willing to eat after she is drinking, then I would give her some.
If she is pooping - then she is not "egg bound" - which means that there is an egg "stuck" or blocking the oviduct.

With her actions, I would be more inclined to say that she is laying internally. Other things to keep in mind would be worms and Marek's.

She just passed away a few hours ago I gave her some meds to take the pain away and put her to sleep. Thanks for the help and now i know how to tell the symptoms of both egg binding and internal laying, so if it ever happens again i can react faster.

Back
Top Bottom