Egg bound hen with damaged vent

Congratulations, I just went through a similar thing with two
of my girls. I'd keep her on both amox and calcium. You want
to nip any possible infection in the bud. I'd also give her another
epsom salt soak. It will help with the healing and relax her after what she's been through.

Well done DL! :clap

When you & @casportpony mentioned sucking the egg out, what did you use? Syringe? Baby snot bulb? Something else?
I used a 16 gauge needle to make the initial hole in a slightly granular section of the shell that was exposed, widened it by pulling small pieces off with tweezers, then sucked out as much albumen and yolk as I could with a 3cc syringe. Then I used a 10 cc syringe to squirt a very dilute solution of betadine into the egg then around the egg to try to clean her a bit before inserting my finger inside the egg and gently breaking it down. At this point it was basically empty.
I pulled out a decent portion of shell and then she closed up. All it took to make her push again was sliding my finger back in to start folding the shell on itself then getting a second finger in to grab hold and gently tug. I got it all out in about three sections.
I then irrigated her again with dilute betadine then clean water.
I am going to turn the built-in brooder into a light deprivation chamber and put her in there at 2 or three this afternoon after I've installed some plywood panels and cover it with a thick sleeping bag to block light.
I've order medistatin and am going to get some miconazole today and start treating her for a yeast infection. That is what the tissue reminded me of that I debrided from her vent. I hope that it will help with swelling and kill off any remaining fungus that may still be in the tissue.
I stopped fermenting feed months ago and regret it. I'm getting another batch started today.
I've been putting extra probiotics into the flocks feed for over a week. I'm just ramping everything up.
@LaFleche recommended Estriol cream as a possible therapy to increase elasticity of her vent. I am going to give that a try as well but perhaps after light deprivation therapy, getting the tissue fully healed and getting her internal flora re-balanced.

Nice job, DL.

Do keep in mind that she may have another egg on the way already and it can take time for her to stop laying after you limit her light exposure, so you may have to help her out again - let's hope not, but it's a possibility.
Oh yes, I am expecting it. I just hope it doesn't come when I'm gone to work for 12 hours. I'll watch her throughout the day on the broody camera and if I see she is straining, I'll cut short my work day and come home to take care of her.

A happier picture of Seneca. Digging a hole for a bath just now. Right in front of the stump.
2CAA8E144D14_1612196037243.png

I wrote a suggestion a few minutes ago, but then deleted it when I realised that I had only read the first page of this thread. It seems the egg collapsing was the way to go.
I had a similar problem with a hen a couple of years ago, she had a abrasion type graze and hole in her stretched vent after having an egg stick.
I didn’t have the sense back then to collapse the egg or do a suction ventouse delivery.
I dont think spoon forceps would be a thing in hens........
In the end my poor hen died as the vent became very infected.
The lesson I learned from my hen was:
I would never do an episiotomy on a hen. She inadvertently did this herself and the results were awful.
However egg collapsing or ventouse I would consider. Even forceps.....
Chicken midwifery........who thought this would be a thing.
Hopefully your hen recovers well and is able to lay easily again.

Back
Top Bottom