Egg bound hen with damaged vent

FWIW, I asked about tubing because it's been my experience that when one can tube fluids or give fluids subcutaneously, & give calcium gluconate, the hens are able to pass the egg most of the time. I was not suggesting tubing food.
I know you weren't suggesting tubing food. Sorry if I implied you were. I was a little stressed. I really need to get tubing supplies.
Now that it's out I need to deal with the next one coming. As George mentioned, she's healed small. She's not even completely healed. She's a big girl and lays big eggs. I'm sure the next one is already in the plumbing.

Give her a FULL calcium tablet. It will help with the contractions.
I know it's a big pill, but she'll swallow it whole. Just pull on her
wattles and she'll open her mouth, then shove it in.
If you have a syringe, shoot some mineral oil or substitute, fully inside her vent. Also lubricate her vent generously with the oil. This will help her pass the egg.
She can't pass the egg because her vent was damaged and healed small. I'd already applied copious amounts of coconut oil. The vent won't stretch.

So glad you got it out, Tonya. I'm sure that was incredibly stressful for both of you. :hugs
Yes. It sure was.
Now I'll just worry about what to do for the next egg coming. I certainly can't make a routine of what I just did.
She seems much better and I know she would prefer to be out with the flock. I'm going to syringe as much fluid into her as I can and put her back in the coop.

Sorry that I have just read this. I am glad that you got the egg out. I haven’t dealt with cloacitis or vent damage before. I wonder if she might have had a prolapse before and possibly got pecked around her vent. There are some other conditions that include papillomas, fungus infection and others. This article has some interesting reading:
https://www.dvm360.com/view/cloacal-disorders-and-diseases-proceedings

You could try to get to her temporarily stop laying eggs by placing her in the dark for 16 hours a day for a few days.

Will her vent stretch over time if she keeps laying, or is there scar tissue that would prevent stretching?
If that is the case (no stretching over time), would opening the vent a small amount (enough for the egg to pass) through an episiotomy type incision on either side of the vent be of help when the hen is passing an egg?
You would have to prevent her passing an egg while she is healing, as well as keep the area really clean and put her on antibiotics (I would think).
Hoping to become more informed should I find myself in this situation. Thanks everyone, I really learned a lot on this thread and congrats to OP and her hen. :wee

Now I'll just worry about what to do for the next egg coming. I certainly can't make a routine of what I just did.
Well done Tonya. I suspect if there is another in the pipeline you might have to repeat the process but I like @Eggcessive's thought about keeping her in the dark so she might naturally cut back on egg production. Hopefully once she fully heals up her vent will be more elastic.

Will her vent stretch over time if she keeps laying, or is there scar tissue that would prevent stretching?
If that is the case (no stretching over time), would opening the vent a small amount (enough for the egg to pass) through an episiotomy type incision on either side of the vent be of help when the hen is passing an egg?
You would have to prevent her passing an egg while she is healing, as well as keep the area really clean and put her on antibiotics (I would think).
Hoping to become more informed should I find myself in this situation. Thanks everyone, I really learned a lot on this thread and congrats to OP and her hen. :wee
These are my questions as well.
If you zoom in on that last photo, you can see that the walls of the vent look thickened. I don't know if that is permanent scar tissue or just that it's so soon after getting the damaged tissue off that it looks that way.
I'm going to have to rig something up in the coop to keep her in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom