Egg bound hen with damaged vent

Wow what a read! Glad you got the egg out. This is wishful thinking, but perhaps the trauma will act as a pause button for her. I've had several hens suffer from trauma and take a long break from laying. I realize though she's already had a long break. Good job getting out the egg. Please keep us up to date on how she's doing!

Last edited:
I got lots of help converting the brooder into a light deprivation bay. Even our guest of honor was front and center.
IMG_20210201_145153509.jpg

Here it is via the brooder cam with the lights on in the coop. Picture taken at 2:45. The IR lights came on so that's a plus.
2CAA8E144C7F_1612210173831.png

I may insert some backer rod in the pop door slot. I no longer have the door for it as I used it for the sliding door for broody hens that leads into the coop. The burgundy door behind this hen.
IMG_20200503_111921465.jpg

Seneca is mad. She's flying up over the door where she sees light and pacing in there. I brought her in for a clean up and applied some antifungal and antibiotic ointment to her vent. It looks better. She ate her amoxicillin right out of my hand.
2CAA8E144C7F_1612213217507.png

What about some mineral oil? or maybe like a smaller Q tip and some KY jelly or something to maybe slick it up and help it pass thru? If she's bleeding, I think you might be best breaking the end of the egg at that point and letting it collapse and help it out? I can't see where that would hurt her much more than she already is. Oh man I feel so bad for her.

This sounds gross but, if you can break a small hole in the end of the egg that's visible, maybe carefully with a drill bit or something, and get a pinky finger inside the egg, inside the hen and like hook your finger over a bit to kind of grab the egg from inside the shell with your finger and gently give a bit of a pull to assist in the process of trying to move it through? Another insane sounding idea and youd need help with it, get like a very small suction cup dart, put a dab of crazy glue or adhesive on it, plop it on the egg and gently pull, help pull the egg out. worse case you pull a plug out of the egg but the device is out of her.

If there was somehow to adhere to the egg w/o having to get a finger or something in there around it from the backside, which would of course further stretch and harm her.

Aaron

What about some mineral oil? or maybe like a smaller Q tip and some KY jelly or something to maybe slick it up and help it pass thru? If she's bleeding, I think you might be best breaking the end of the egg at that point and letting it collapse and help it out? I can't see where that would hurt her much more than she already is. Oh man I feel so bad for her.

This sounds gross but, if you can break a small hole in the end of the egg that's visible, maybe carefully with a drill bit or something, and get a pinky finger inside the egg, inside the hen and like hook your finger over a bit to kind of grab the egg from inside the shell with your finger and gently give a bit of a pull to assist in the process of trying to move it through? Another insane sounding idea and youd need help with it, get like a very small suction cup dart, put a dab of crazy glue or adhesive on it, plop it on the egg and gently pull, help pull the egg out. worse case you pull a plug out of the egg but the device is out of her.

If there was somehow to adhere to the egg w/o having to get a finger or something in there around it from the backside, which would of course further stretch and harm her.

Aaron
Hi Aaron. Did you finish reading the thread?

Back
Top Bottom