1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg bound hen.....?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MCArt20, Apr 1, 2017.

1. MCArt20

MCArt20 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2016
    So I have been trying to integrate my two younger hens in with my two older hens. It's been a bit chaotic and there have been some squabbles. Today, my younger Easter egged is showing signs of being egg bound. Dropped tail, laying down a lot, kind of a red face, I think....poor thing, she must be so stressed...... poor timing on my part......but I thought Easter edgers were more like 28+weeks before they layed........she is just at 21 weeks.....so I crushed some calcium up and put in a plastic syringe with water, got it down her, she is still eating......soaked her in a bath, I think I can kind of feel an egg but I just can't be sure...rubbed Vaseline on her vent...put her in her own quiet space In the garage,
    And will wait ......after dinner I will soak her again, if still no egg, and keep her in her own space a while. Sigh, this has been a crazy chicken week. So questions....is it too early for her to lay? No other signs of anything else.....no lice or mites, no sign of infection or what I have read that could be vent gleet.....also, has anyone "helped" a first time hen to pass an egg? Thanks,
    Mary

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How is she doing?

If there has been a lot of drama, then she most likely is stressed, sokeeping her separated and reducing her stress level was a good idea. New layers can take a while to lay that first egg - so give her some time in her quiet place.

Each chicken has their own unique clock, so yes, it's possible for her to begin laying at 21wks. Most of what you read are averages, so some can begin early while others may start way beyond that 28wk mark.

It sounds like you are doing well in taking care of her. Make sure she is drinking - staying hydrated is important if you have an egg bound hen.
    Keep us posted.

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/06/egg-bound-hens-how-to-recognize-treat.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  3. MCArt20

Aug 22, 2016
    She is doing ok, still bent tail, but pecking around a bit, I read more about her symptoms, and maybe wondering @cocci-??? she has had a couple runny gold color poops, a day or so ago, I don't think foamy, and no blood at all, but just in case I did put some corid in her water, and will all of the water tomorrow. There is often poop in their food and water , but I clean it out when I see it........Her comb is not pale, and she is making some subtle noises......I inspected her poop pretty well and don't see any worms....I know that does not mean she doesn't have them, but I don't think large infestation......she doesn't seem interested in nesting box at all. Just not sure what symptoms to pay most attention to...its tough because there is so much conflicting information online- rub the vent with olive oil- never rub with olive oil, and massage her abdomen and vent and also never do that -you could break the egg......sometimes confusing. :/. I will soak her again tomorrow .......she gets sleepy in the warm water- I kinda have to hold her up....but I think she likes it. Please- any other thoughts helpful! I did get her to take water via plastic syringe, so I know she is getting some.
    Thanks!!!

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take a poop sample to your vet for testing?

Treating her with Corid won't hurt, even if she doesn't have Cocci. Corid is considered mild, so your ok there.

Do the best you can to keep her hydrated. Is her crop emptying overnight?

5. MCArt20

Aug 22, 2016
    She is much perkier this morning, fiesty even, back on perch. This may be a dumb question, but does size of vent have anything to do with readiness to produce eggs? I'm asking because in comparison to my other two experienced layers, her vent is quite small. Makes me wonder if she might not be egg bound after all.......I will soak her again just in case. Sunday can't take fecal for test anywhere near here, if no improvement I could possibly do it tomorrow.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad to hear she seems to be improving.

Yes, the size of the vent can tell you some things. Pullets that are coming into lay usually have a noticeably larger and moist vent compared to those not laying. The pelvic bones also widen to allow for the passing of an egg. If the vent looks small and "dry" then she most likely isn't ready.

It's so hard to tell what's going on with chickens sometimes. Symptoms can overlap and look very similar. Personally I would continue the Corid for atleast 5days of treatment. Then offer her some poultry vitamins and probiotics/yogurt after the 5 days.

fwiw Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Keep us posted.

http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2015/01/how-to-tell-if-a-hen-is-laying-eggs.html
    http://thefrugalchicken.com/best-ways-hens-laying/

7. MCArt20

Aug 22, 2016
    I am treating for egg bound and cocci- corid in water, and soaking and massaging butt- got some milky oatmeal down her and water with the corid although had to use plastic syringe- yesterday when I went to check in her- she was on her perch- but did seem to be straining- tail up - seemed to be flexing and vent was opening closing, face was red- went to grab my phone to film and of course she stopped. This morning she was eating on her own some, still haven't seen her drink on her own, and seemed more straight- but then got back up on perch and tail went right down again, and she slumped her posture again. I have read that her symptoms could also possibly be worms- but hesitant to add wazine to water with corid already in it? I think she's improving a little...i think I should wait to add wazine, does anyone know anything else I could try, and if it is worms could that progress quickly?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by