Egg bound hen

ButchGood

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2012
Central Texas
This spring my 5 year old hen started laying some nice eggs Again. She laid about 4, 2 To 3 days apart. Then she laid one with a sand paper finish, then one that was misshapen and one side had shell missing to the membrane. She hasn’t laid an egg for over a week and we noticed droopy wings and tail. That evening I did some studying and it sounds like she is egg bound. We prepared to give her a warm epsom salt bath, give her some calcium in the form of eggshell powder in water, and lube her up with mineral oil using a syringe without the needle of course. That morning there was an egg under her roost that did break when it hit the ground and had a very thin shell. She passed an egg but does not seem improved. Still droopy wings and tail. We did the treatments anyway. Next day, still no improvement. Is she still egg bound?
We are now going to give her another soak, give her a commercial calcium supplement, and use some more oil.
Am I doing too much? After passing the egg will she still be droopy? Can they have back to back eggs bound up?

How's she doing? Can you get some calcium gluconate for cattle or calcium citrate for people? Do you know how to tube feed? Is a vet an option?

It takes a lot of calcium to form eggs and it can deplete the hen's body. They naturally only lay a clutch or two naturally but when we pen them and take their eggs they get depleted. We keep oyster shell out all the time but some hens just do not eat it and you can't really increase the calcium in the pens feed or risk hurting the cocks kidney. When I see a hen in distress I automatically give her 5ml of Calcium Gluconate and she will lay an egg in a few hours.

It takes a lot of calcium to form eggs and it can deplete the hen's body. They naturally only lay a clutch or two naturally but when we pen them and take their eggs they get depleted. We keep oyster shell out all the time but some hens just do not eat it and you can't really increase the calcium in the pens feed or risk hurting the cocks kidney. When I see a hen in distress I automatically give her 5ml of Calcium Gluconate and she will lay an egg in a few hours.
[/QUOTE
Where do you buy Calcium Gluconate? At the vets?

Back
Top Bottom