Egg bound hen?

Chicken momma 22

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2022
I have a hen closer to 3 years old. She has been acting kinda droopy for about a week. When I picked her up she had a protruding keel bone. After talking to people at my.feed store they said probably egg bound. She was still eating and drinking until today but walking funny. Now she seems to have stopped walking really snd her one leg kinda gets stuck out behind her.

Had anyone experience this? I have given her an Epsom salt bath, tried to get her to tske some.crushed up.tums in her eater...not super successful and lubricated her vent..she is isolated in a big bin in the house with a heat lamp on.

What can I do. I'm worried it is too late! 😪

Your hen is in crisis. If her eyes are closed, it's especially serious.

You need to get a whole Tums into her beak. I hear those Tums are honking big tablets and you may need to break it in half and pry open her beak and shove the two pieces in. She needs a minimum of 500mg of calcium all at once. If this is indeed egg binding, the calcium will stimulate contractions so she can get the egg out.

However, she may be too weak by now. If you can, you need to get some sugar water into her. As much as you can. It sounds like she may be dehydrated and that will further complicate her situation. Ideally, she should be tube fed water and a wet slurry of food to try to get her hydrated and energy up to get her through this.

Is she pooping? Can you feel a hard bulge right at her vent?

Back
Top Bottom