Egg bound hen

Chickylongstocking

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2021
Hello everyone! I have never dealt with an egg bound hen before, so I was hoping to get some feedback. Peep is almost 4 years old and has always laid giant eggs. I saw her waddling like a penguin the other day and figured she was egg bound so I brought her in, soaked her bum in warm water with epsom salt, then I tried to gently coax the big lump out that I figured was the egg. It was getting dark so I dried her off and put her in her coop with the others. The next day was raining and she just looked a mess. All wet and muddy and still waddling like a penguin. I brought he in, gave her a bath and noticed that big lump was gone and her cloaca looked a little bloody but back to normal so I assumed she laid the egg. She has been inside in a crate and she is pooping but doesnt want to drink water so I am hesitant to give her any food til she drinks... Is it possible she has another egg stuck inside her or will it just take some time for her to walk right again? Also, is there anything I can do to help try to prevent this from happenning again? Ya'll are always so helpful so thanks in advance for any feedback :)

Good job! When treating egg-bound issues, it's avised to give them one of our calcium pills, but seems she's over it. I would make sure she and all of your hens always have a dish or container with oyster shell in it. Their layer feed should be enough but a lot of our hens want/need more.

I'd let her eat or drink though.

Good job! When treating egg-bound issues, it's avised to give them one of our calcium pills, but seems she's over it. I would make sure she and all of your hens always have a dish or container with oyster shell in it. Their layer feed should be enough but a lot of our hens want/need more.

I'd let her eat or drink though.
Thank you I'll do that!

Back
Top Bottom