egg bound hen?

meloreskovich

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 14, 2013
Fairly new to chickens here :)
My adult SLW hen has been acting strangely today. She has seemed anxious and stressed out. She's panting a lot. She's not foraging with my other hen. Shes made many unsuccessful trips to the nesting box. She's also been going behind places (like my large trash can, trying to get behind the bin that holds pine shavings, etc) she's still drinking and eating somewhat. But she's just off.

Could she be egg bound? I picked her up but didn't feel anything. But I haven't had to do this before so I don't know what I should feel for.

I should also say she's not fond of being handled. We rescued her. She's usually my best layer.

What should I do?

Fairly new to chickens here :)
My adult SLW hen has been acting strangely today. She has seemed anxious and stressed out. She's panting a lot. She's not foraging with my other hen. Shes made many unsuccessful trips to the nesting box. She's also been going behind places (like my large trash can, trying to get behind the bin that holds pine shavings, etc) she's still drinking and eating somewhat. But she's just off.

Could she be egg bound? I picked her up but didn't feel anything. But I haven't had to do this before so I don't know what I should feel for.

I should also say she's not fond of being handled. We rescued her. She's usually my best layer.

What should I do?

How hot is it where you are? Chickens pant in the heat, and some are more affected by high temperatures than others. Does your hen walk stiffly or waddle excessively when she walks?

Being egg bound is certainly a possibility. I would soak your hen's lower half in 90-95 degree water for 15-30 minutes. This will help relax her muscles. Then, take her out and dry her the best you can with a towel. Isolate her in a cage or other area, and perhaps give her some calcium (in the form of oyster shell, ground egg shell, or human calcium pills). Let her rest.

Make sure she isn't too hot. If you have rubber gloves, lubricate a finger and insert it about 1 1/2 inches into her vent to gently feel for an egg. If you ever fell a broken egg, all of the pieces need to come out. If there is an egg stuck you can place her into a sink or tub of water to see if it will pass. If you think she is egg bound, give her some extra calcium (1/2 a calcium tablet crushed, a Tums, or some crushed egg shells.) Here is some reading: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

Thank you all for the info! She finally laid that egg late this afternoon. Yes its hot N
and humid! I live in central Florida. Could those symptoms be a hen that is too hot?

Laying eggs can be very hard on some. Make sure she has lots of water, oyster shell and maybe get her some leafy greens high in calcium like kale, spinach or collard greens.

-Kathy

The heat can be very hard on some chickens. I like to put some flat low pans of water in the shade for them to stand in and cool off. Maybe she was just having a hard time deciding where to lay today, or the egg was stuck for awhile. Chickens are funny little creatures. I'm glad she has laid it.

Back
Top Bottom