Egg bound hens?

fluffchucker

Chirping
5 Years
May 3, 2015
Hi everyone I’ve posted on here before but not for sometime. A few months ago two of our hens suffered with scaly leg mite. I’m pleased to say after some treatment it has cleared up (from what we can gather). The problem we now have is two of our hens are a) are unable to lay but both go through the rituals of it and b) appear to be self plucking feathers around the front of their necks, bellies and around their bottoms. Any thoughts? It is also strange how two of our hens have suffered from all these symptoms and ailments and not the third who continues to lay daily. 🤷‍♂️

We feed them a mixture of layers pellet and corn. They are allowed to come and go from their coup to their pen as they please day and night. Although they only seem to demonstrate the rituals of wanting to lay in the morning. Although during this period of Lockdown whilst I have been working from home I’ve been able to let them out into our main garden. I look repeatedly for lice and mites and I’ll be buggered if I can see any.

Welcome to BYC. Are you certain that hen #3 is not feather plucking the other two ?
We’re not sure part of the reason I let them out so much into the main garden is to make sure they don’t get bored and start feather pecking as a result. they seem quite happy otherwise. If it was just the back of their heads and bellies I’d be tempted to agree but the fact it’s the front of their necks makes me think they’re doing it to themselves

Back
Top Bottom