1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg bound khaki Campbell

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Peekos Grandma, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Peekos Grandma

Peekos Grandma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2017
    HELP!!! Our 1 year old khakhi Campbell has been diagnosed as egg bound. We took her to an avian vet on Saturday. She did an X-ray and ultrasound. She says she sees an unshelled egg. Gave her a calcium shot, and gave us calcium med, antibiotic and pain reliever. Told us to bring her back today if she had not laid the egg. Today did a procedure under anesthesia to try to remove the egg from her. No success. Now she wants to give her oxytocin on Thursday to see if she will lay the egg. If not the only option would be surgery. We love this girl. So worried

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Sounds like your vet is taking care of her.
    Good for you for getting her there in time.
    Please update on Thursday after your visit.

3. Peekos Grandma

Jun 6, 2017
    Thank you for your reply. So worried I will update on Thursday. Thanks again

KikisGirls likes this.
  4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Can I ask:
    Before Saturday..when do you begin to think something was wrong with her/symtoms?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for taking her to a vet. I hope she has the best possible outcome. Will check back to see what you update on Thursday. :fl

6. Peekos Grandma

Jun 6, 2017
    She molted for the last 2 weeks, no eggs during the molt. Wasn't finishing her water dish in her cage at night last week. Her quacking seemed deeper sounding beginning Thursday last week or so. By Friday my gut said something wasn't right. I did a lot of reading about egg bound. Immediately started warm baths and contacted vet late Friday night. Brought her in early Saturday morning and continued baths, steam room since then. She's eating and drinking which is good. Not very interested in her duck feed but we've been giving her tomatoes, lettuce, cantaloupe and she did eat some duck feed
    Yesterday and today.

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. Peekos Grandma

Jun 6, 2017
    Update on our Peeko duckie. Unfortunately the inducing procedure did not work either. So our last resort is surgery, scheduled for tomorrow morning. I hoping and praying for a good outcome. I'm so worried.

8. Peekos Grandma

Jun 6, 2017

9. Peekos Grandma

Jun 6, 2017
    Unfortunately inducing didn't work either. She's scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning. So worried. Good thoughts and prayers are appreciated for our feather baby Peeko

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    :fl I will be thinking of you. :hugs

Peekos Grandma likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by