Egg bound, needs to poop, or upset tummy?

Saigey

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Alabama, USA
I can't believe these babies are around 5 months old already! They are half Australian Spotted half snowy calls. There are 5 girls (one is 2 weeks younger than the others, though). Out of the four older girls, 1 of them has been laying an egg every day, and they're consistently getting bigger. One is laying smaller eggs almost every day. Another has just started laying smallish eggs. Talahassee, my sweetest girl, was feeling fine yesterday and this morning, but this afternoon I noticed she was just hanging out off by herself. She's not irritable or biting, just sleepy. I brought her in and put her in a warm bath, gave her some Romaine, which she nibbled at, and some grit, which she was more interested in. She had a tiny solid-ish normal color poop in the tub. I snuggled her for awhile, then put her in a laundry basket with blankies, and she's been napping. I scrambled her an egg, mixed it with some nutritional yeast, a pinch of grit, a little bit of her regular food, and a pinch of calcium. She nibbled at it, not super interested, but she has been drinking water. She had one completely liquid clear poop/pee so far after the bath, no smell, just a little of the white that normally happens. I didn't feel an egg in her tummy, but I could have missed a tiny one. Her tummy isn't distended and is very soft, not firm, her crop doesn't look impacted or abnormal. No discharge from her eyes or nose, and her bill and feet are the same temperature as usual, not too hot or too cold. All of the ducks are on Flock Party (Manna Pro) Rising Chick starter feed mixed with nutritional yeast (22% protein). They were on Dumor Duck All Stages 22% protein but they prefer the taste of the Flock Party. They have oyster shells free choice, which I even grind up a little more in a grinder since they're such tiny ducks. Everyone else is acting normal. I have some electrolyte on hand if needed, but right now I'm just letting her nap in the basket so that none of the other ducks bother her.
I have noticed the sound of my other female ducks' tummies in the past when they're sitting on me for snuggles, and I don't know if that indicates egg forming or just tummy moving, but hers is making a little bit of noise. Not drastically more noise than I've heard from any of the others. I don't think she's laid an egg yet- I'm pretty sure about 2 of the other 4, and she hasn't been climbing in the nesting boxes.
The first female duck I had (2 whole years ago, can't believe it's been that long) died because she was laying internally after she had a hard time with her first egg. When do I start freaking out?

Update: while I was examining her vent, she pooped some whitish/yellowish liquid all over my leg, so the vent looks good and is functioning. Also, ew. :sick

20220823_191523.jpg

Update: She ate some mealworms, kept drinking water, dunked her head in the electrolyte water a couple of times and sipped some. Then, she pooped a big poop (nothing super abnormal, just big) and perked up quite a bit. I had brought her into the bathroom in the basket, and she proceeded to hop out of the basket and jump in the tub. :rolleyes: She is the only one that will play with the 2-week younger one so far, so put her in there, too, and they splashed around for a few minutes. After some effort, I convinced her to stay in the basket so I can get a bath. She's preening now, hope she continues to feel better. *fingers crossed*
Awww, what a sweet girl! I hope someone can help soon with her issues. I don't have enough experience with this to give any advice. :(

Update: She's had two more very watery poops. I'm wondering if she just ate a bug that she shouldn't have, a leaf, or something else. We get those horrible little bitty frogs out here, I wonder if one of them hopped into the enclosure somehow and maybe she ate it? She's a snuggly baby and is okay with staying in the basket so far and napping, so hopefully she won't mind sleeping in the basket for tonight. Fingers totally crossed that she is all better after a good night's sleep.

Watery poop is normal for ducks, though. I don't know if they can have an upset stomach, since they don't have one?
Let us know in the morning how she's doing, and if you notice anything new with her. I wish I had a duck that would snuggle in blankets and stay in a basket! I doubt my Muscovy would appreciate it, though! :D

Watery poop is normal for ducks, though. I don't know if they can have an upset stomach, since they don't have one?
Let us know in the morning how she's doing, and if you notice anything new with her. I wish I had a duck that would snuggle in blankets and stay in a basket! I doubt my Muscovy would appreciate it, though! :D
Will do! The watery poops continue, but any poops I'm considering good poops, since that's the normal thing to do. I have been insanely invested in raising cuddly ducks 😂 most of them are cool with it!

Attachments

• 20220817_234720.jpg
    20220817_234720.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220626_222152.jpg
    20220626_222152.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220608_202300.jpg
    20220608_202300.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 9
Well, she led the charge outside this morning, so she must be feeling better! Around 3am she was shaking her head and "coughing", almost like she had something caught in her throat. I put her in the tub and she seemed to perk up. If she was a human, I'd say she had sinus drainage like I do! 😂 Maybe it's sympathetic! 😂 I will keep an eye on her today, though, to be safe. :fl

Back
Top Bottom