Egg Bound???? Not Sure-Help!

chickenscratch

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 18, 2007
I posted this yesterday but can't find the listing-wierd. Anyways I'm not exactly sure whats going on with my Rhode Island Red. She's been like this for a month now. Shes really swollen down in her underside region, poo seems to be draining out of her and is in her feathers, I think I feel an egg or two in her belly but not sure. She can barely walk and is all hunched over. She seems to be eating and drinking. I gave her warm baths, massaged her, put olive oil down her throat and up her opening. She seems miserable-Any ideas. I included photo of her.
2709_dsc_1861.jpg

Oh my goodness, she looks really uncomfortable. I'm sorry. You seem to be doing all the right things and yes, I would put her in a dark and quiet place where she can relax and stop producing eggs. I hope someone will come along with the million dollar answer!
fl.gif

About a week with my girl .. I just waited til she was looking much better ... I havent heard a set amount of time.. Sorry I am not much more help

I agree, it will just take some time. Especially if she's got more than one in there. I would surely keep giving her warm baths, massaging her and giving her oil on both ends. Keep us posted!

I saw your posting late yesterday and spent half the morning looking for it today. That is wierd. I registered just for this posting. I have a 3 yr old hen that looks the same way - very squaty. I only noticed her condition about 4 days ago though. No way is she going to last a month like this. She seems to be going down fast. I soaked her in a warm bath this morning and have her in a large rubbermade full of staw in the kitchen. I'll be watching to see if you get any additional good advice. Good luck to us both! Thanks for posting a picture.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sick hen! We had the exact same problem with our Rhode Island red starting about 5 weeks ago. All the same symptoms and that could be her in your picture.

She would seem to get better after a warm bath, and then slowly return to her tail-down state. Last week she took a turn for the worse (she started walking like a penguin) so I found a vet and had her examined. They put her under anesthesia to check because they thought she was egg bound. They found out she was an internal layer and that there was nothing they could do. They had to euthanize her. So sad.

I hope for your sake your hen has a different problem. You might consider a visit to the vet, because at least then you will know for sure.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom