Egg Bound???? Not Sure-Help!

My 3 yr old RIR hen is still hanging in there. I'm giving her a warm bath soak daily and keeping her in a warm dark place with fresh staw. I was happy to see her drinking the water I was saoking her in. A good sign since I haven't seen her eat or drink in a few days. No egg yet though.

Chickenscratch, Any more news on your hen?

My hen was still hanging tough last night when I came home from afternoon shift at midnight. She actually looked relatively comfortable compared to how she'd look several days ago. Unfortunately she didn't make it through the night.

It was a stressful week but I'm glad she's not in anymore pain or discomfort.

Chickenscratch, I hope you are having better luck.

Thanks for this post, I was about to ask the same questions. I have an egg bound Blk Sexlink. The info about putting them in the dark and giving oil make perfect sense.

I gave her a bath and cleaned her up, she was very poopy too. There is a small mass right near her vent, which I am assuming is an egg or eggs.

We had another one a few months back that some posters called an internal layer too. I am a bit confused about that, because she was 5 yrs old. So, I guess they can become internal layers.

Had I thought to put her in the dark, maybe she could have been saved. The one that is egg bound now has a much smaller mass, so I am hoping for the best.

When we put the first one down we opened her up, and this is what we found.
2499_yolk.jpg

Thank you for that picture! I did not have the courage to open up my hen, though I wanted to. The picture is fascinating. Over the winter on 4-5 occasions, I found in my nesting boxes, an egg-sized ball of something that looked just like this material. Its looks like New England hushpuppies or doughboys. It was fairly dense and bread-like. I didn't know what it was and am glad to see this picture. It looks like the same material only a lot more of it.

I've never seen anything written-up about it. I hope someone will tell us what that is. A better explanation than egg development gone awry. What causes it? Can it be prevented? Is it common?

Sorry for the poor quality camara photo, but here's one of what was in my nesting boxes. One cut in half.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom