1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg bound or broody?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Berritt, May 9, 2011.

1. Berritt

Berritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    I am new to having chickens (got them last year) so this is my first layer "issue".

One of my Orpingtons has been in the nest box since yesterday. It looked like she was trying to lay an egg and she was all puffed up. She was still there and still puffed up this morning (with no eggs, I remove them daily) Her rear looked a little dirty, but her vent looks ok, pink and moist looking. She is having completely normal poops.

I was thinking since she looked like she was trying to lay an egg she might be egg bound. I took her out of the nest box and felt around on her belly, and I don't feel anything except a few bones. I decided to give her a bath anyway, warm, submerged the vent area. Dried her off a bit and filled a dog kennel with wood shavings. Gave her grapes, bread, lettuce, tomato and yogurt and she ate all the grapes greedily, and half a piece of bread. She is also drinking water fine. She still looks like she is trying to lay (her vent is moving a lot. Is that just normal?) She stood in the kennel looking ticked off and preening herself. I took her out and let her walk around a little and she walks fine. She pooped on the floor. I put her back. She just glared at me. ?

I decided to grab a couple eggs out of the coop and I put them right next to her. She immediately saw them and tried to roll them under herself. She got them half way so I helped her. Once they were under her, she immediately fluffed up, got cozy and looks perfectly content. Which is why I ask if she is Broody?

But her vent is still winking at me. She's not acting like she is in pain, but I am so new to this I don't want to make any mistakes.

Thanks for any insight!

2. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    My guess is BROODY!

3. Berritt

Berritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    I sure hope so. If it turns out she is, we want to get her a few fertile eggs. (My mom wants a few chickens!) What a fun spring this could be! I am hoping she lays an egg so I can stop worrying, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by