Egg Bound or Just Laying? HELP

Green Bean Quail

Songster
Nov 13, 2019
Hey guys!
Speckles is walking really awkwardly, low to the ground and her behind is moving like she’s about to lay. This has been going on for about five minutes since I first noticed? I am worried she’s egg bound but she doesn’t seem uncomfortable and her eyes are bright. She keeps walking for a few seconds, then laying down. Repeat. Is this normal egg laying process? Should I be worried Bout egg bound?

In my experience, the #1 issue with quail and their eggs is a lack of calcium. Do you actively give her some as part of her diet? If not, she might have a soft-shelled egg inside her that's giving her trouble. The good news is that in all cases that I've had with my birds, they've managed to pass it and immediately been better shortly afterward. They can get pretty mopey before that point, though.

In my experience, the #1 issue with quail and their eggs is a lack of calcium. Do you actively give her some as part of her diet? If not, she might have a soft-shelled egg inside her that's giving her trouble. The good news is that in all cases that I've had with my birds, they've managed to pass it and immediately been better shortly afterward. They can get pretty mopey before that point, though.
I give them calcium from crushed eggshell baked and kale, but I've had them for over six months on just basically a pellet feed and they have never had soft eggs. I gave them an extra batch of eggshell today, and hoping thatll prevent any more. I put her in a warm bath around her vent, and massaged to check for an egg and iddn't feel anything,she also defecated so I'm a little confused. Put her in solitary for about six hours and now she is acting normal, stretching, walking and eating with the exception of her walk still seems a little funny (slightly wobbly) but her eyes are bright, shes not panting. I'm very confused, but I put her back with the others.

I also
I give them calcium from crushed eggshell baked and kale, but I've had them for over six months on just basically a pellet feed and they have never had soft eggs. I gave them an extra batch of eggshell today, and hoping thatll prevent any more. I put her in a warm bath around her vent, and massaged to check for an egg and iddn't feel anything,she also defecated so I'm a little confused. Put her in solitary for about six hours and now she is acting normal, stretching, walking and eating with the exception of her walk still seems a little funny (slightly wobbly) but her eyes are bright, shes not panting. I'm very confused, but I put her back with the others.
I also tossed in some kale and cabbage for a lil calcium while I get some more eggs going. I'm going to be verrrrryyyy careful about calcium now after this scare! Speckles also took the fattest crap ever after the bath so she might have just been having some indigestion. Any tips for rasy calcium for quail? Eggs are limited right now at the store, I've resorted to taking the quail eggs and grinding them up for the girls.

I give mine shell grit for calcium and for their digestion.
I’ll keep grinding eggs up then- she isn’t dead yet, and it’s been two days so she would have died if it had been a egg bound, one theory I have us that she may have bonked too hard against the lid, I have a small sliver wihtout protective netting that she could have hit, now that I think about it she’s acting like my male did when he bonked a little too hard. ( slight limp, puffed,)

No it's not normal, and it does sound like she might be egg bound. Has there been anything that might bring her stress going on lately?
Not at all- if anything, I’ve left them alone a little more lately because I’ve been working from home and am super swamped. Is it bad that I kind of assumed she’ll be okay now because its been over 3 days? She is eating, dirnking, pooping, and will let me palpitate her abdomen but still walks just a littllllleee funny.

Not at all- if anything, I’ve left them alone a little more lately because I’ve been working from home and am super swamped. Is it bad that I kind of assumed she’ll be okay now because its been over 3 days? She is eating, dirnking, pooping, and will let me palpitate her abdomen but still walks just a littllllleee funny.
Has she been laying eggs?

Back
Top Bottom