Egg Bound or Molting?

theOGs

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2021
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Hey all!

A few days ago I noticed one of our hens sitting on the roost in a little puffball like they do when they aren't feeling well. We have a couple roosters that really love her, so she wears a hen saddle. Last night I found her in a nesting box after the coop shut and I was collecting the eggs, I set on on the floor and it looked like she was trying to poop/lay an egg. I finished my chores but something still was not quite right, so we brought her inside to the warmth (it was colder than -30 last night). We prepared a warm bath and removed the saddle, and she was covered in "dandruff" from apparently a molt she was undergoing.

She has been doing well since we brought her in, but clearly isn't feeling well. She has pooped a few times, and everything appears normal, and have felt around externally but no sign of any eggs. It's unclear as to whether or not she has been laying or taking time off to molt. Now that the saddle is off, she does not seem to be "squatting", but is still a bit of a puffball.

Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, or insights? She does not appear to be trying to pass an egg. Could the saddle have been just uncomfortable for her? It appears as though all the feathers from her comb to her tail, and her wings, are very fresh.

You need to remove her saddle periodically so she can condition her feathers from the oil from her preening gland which gets covered up when the saddle is being worn. Also, she should have access to a dirt bath without the saddle so she can condition her feathers and skin in that manner.

Wanting to sit in a nesting box can result from a stubborn egg, but also from being bullied. You might want to observe her interactions with the flock, especially at roosting time to be sure bullying isn't a problem for her.

If she is inclined to sit in the nest for long periods during the day, she may have an obstruction, an egg or sloughed off tissue from the oviduct. You can help her by giving her a calcium tablet. Calcium citrate is the best type if you can find it. Look where they sell people vitamins. Give one tablet right into her beak once a day until her behavior reverts back to normal.

I think you're right with it being related to the saddle. She seems to be doing much better and acting more normal (although she is still inside the house in the bathroom to keep warm, we have had some -40 degree weather lately)

Do you have any suggestions on how often to give the hens a break from the saddle? I think they have only been on for about a month and a half. We are going to be taking them all off the other girls tonight for about two weeks.

They do have access to a dust bath - it's a small plastic child's pool with sand and wood ash in it.

Minus 40! Gads. I can't grok.

There's no time table to removing the saddle. Just keep in mind that she may need to access her preening gland occasionally, and a dirt bath every so often would give her contentment and the chance to sweep any parasites out of her feathers and off her skin. Maybe twice a week, give or take.

Back
Top Bottom