Egg bound or not

Who can tell me what was wrong?

• Egg bound

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not egg.bound

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
How can you avoid salpingtis? Is it calcium deficiency, to much protein? I have also had 2 chickens with atis fluid around stomach and just wondering if its something I am doing
Also can you get a weight on a few of your birds.
These type of problems can be cause by being overweight.

Too many treats leads to overweightness very easily.

So Sorry you lost your sweet bird. How old are your birds? And what breed? Some chickens, such as Sex-links, are bred for high egg production and develop reproductive problems after they are even just 2-3 years old. The egg industry does not even keep them to that ripe old age.

She was two years old Iso brown, my others have been Americanns that have had astic fluid. Only thing I feed them is fresh fruit, yogurt and greens.

It's been a hard 3 weeks for my Butterscott girl that I finally put her down. Mineral baths, mineral oil up the vent, calcium you name it I did it but ended up having nothing work. She was becoming lathigit, sitting like a pequin and all fluffed up. Everything I read said egg bound.
So after we put her down i felt i needed to understand was she or not. So we did a very sensitive autopsy to see if there was and egg. The pictures I post I do only to have someone tell me if her vent was that plugged up with yolks. I am super sad so unless you can shed some light please do not comment.

How can you avoid salpingtis? Is it calcium deficiency, to much protein? I have also had 2 chickens with atis fluid around stomach and just wondering if its something I am doing

She was two years old Iso brown, my others have been Americanns that have had astic fluid. Only thing I feed them is fresh fruit, yogurt and greens.
I'm very sorry for your loss:hugs
It's looks like Salpingitis to me - this is an inflammation of the oviduct. Here's an article that give more information to the causes. https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

Do you ever remember if your hens had any symptoms of respiratory illness - sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, etc.?

I'm sorry that you lost her and I know it was upsetting, but it's good that you were able to examine the body further. That amount of lash material, any type of treatment you tried would have been ineffective. You showed her kindness and mercy by putting her out of her misery.

I'm so sorry you had to euthanize your girl. :hugs You absolutely did the right thing.
She was full of lash material from internal laying or an impacted oviduct. There is nothing that can be done about this.
Kudos to you for having the gumption to open her up and exam her to discover what was wrong.
Having the same issue. Externally and behavior wise everything looks like an egg bound chicken. I put my finger up vent trying to find egg but nothing. I did notice her belly seemed slightly swollen but this just might be something I never noticed before. If this is a virus any suggestions? She has had runny poop for several weeks, adult pasty butt with stuff all over feathers down there. Any remedies come to mind?

Back
Top Bottom