Egg bound or not?

Kris10S

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2023
We have an Easter Egger hen, almost 1 year old, who started acting egg bound today. She’s not up and moving around, not very interested in food, and just wants to sit. She’s puffing out her feathers extra and her tail is drooping down. She was fine yesterday. Poop seems a little runny and she has some around her vent area feathers.

So far I checked inside the vent to see if I could feel an egg. I couldn’t, but I haven’t done this before. We gave her a 20 minute Epsom salt bath and she pooped normally after. We have her inside now in a quiet place and will try to do some electrolyte water through a dropper. I got her to take some plain yogurt.

If she’s able to poop, is she egg bound?

Should we try calcium citrate tablets even if we aren’t sure if she’s egg bound?

This is our first flock so we’re unsure what to do and want to see her recover. Thank you all!

Could be a soft shelled egg. Eggs can get stuck higher up the tract and cause discomfort without blocking off the poop channel.

600mg calcium citrate immediately and repeat daily for at least a week. Hopefully it’s just a one off for your lady.

The epsom baths will also help and keeping her somewhere quiet, warm, dark and dry.

Could be a soft shelled egg. Eggs can get stuck higher up the tract and cause discomfort without blocking off the poop channel.

600mg calcium citrate immediately and repeat daily for at least a week. Hopefully it’s just a one off for your lady.

The epsom baths will also help and keeping her somewhere quiet, warm, dark and dry.
Thank you! I’m going to get the calcium now.

I’m seeing different opinions on giving as tablets vs dissolved. Any thoughts there?

If she’s able to poop, is she egg bound?
Usually the egg is stuck before the intestines exit, but not always, so being able to poop is not a sign that she isn't egg bound.
A shelled egg is what is required for eggbinding. Eggs that run into problems further up the oviduct are not strictly egg binding problems and can indicate a problem elsewhere.

Should we try calcium citrate tablets even if we aren’t sure if she’s egg bound?
Giving calcium citrate at the right amount shouldn't have any adverse effects.

Checking for an egg with ones finger is best done with bare hands. Sometimes one can feel something but are not quite sure what. I used to have a narrow plastic rod which when unsure I inserted into the hens vent. If when I tapped the obstruction gently it was hard then there was shell there.
If you are confident that there is no shelled egg there then some kind of internal laying is a possibility you might consider, which of course requires different treatment.

Usually the egg is stuck before the intestines exit, but not always, so being able to poop is not a sign that she isn't egg bound.
A shelled egg is what is required for eggbinding. Eggs that run into problems further up the oviduct are not strictly egg binding problems and can indicate a problem elsewhere.

Giving calcium citrate at the right amount shouldn't have any adverse effects.

Checking for an egg with ones finger is best done with bare hands. Sometimes one can feel something but are not quite sure what. I used to have a narrow plastic rod which when unsure I inserted into the hens vent. If when I tapped the obstruction gently it was hard then there was shell there.
If you are confident that there is no shelled egg there then some kind of internal laying is a possibility you might consider, which of course requires different treatment.
Thank you! We got calcium into her tonight and will see how she is in the morning.

It’s good to offer flaked oyster shell free choice and/or their own eggshell back to them. They will take what they need. When hens have trouble laying eggs it’s a good idea to do the calcium therapy in addition. You would have to give them the extra calcium for weeks and weeks to cause issues with the kidneys.

It’s good to offer flaked oyster shell free choice and/or their own eggshell back to them. They will take what they need. When hens have trouble laying eggs it’s a good idea to do the calcium therapy in addition. You would have to give them the extra calcium for weeks and weeks to cause issues with the kidneys.
Thank you! That’s good to know about the extra calcium. We do give them crushed eggshells and oyster shells regularly.

She’s about the same this morning. No egg laid.

We don’t know what’s wrong with our girl. No egg passed and her crop seems impacted now. Do chickens get lethargic with impacted crop?

We’re going to try withholding food, giving her extra grit and water, and keeping her comfy inside. She did eat a whole scrambled egg a few hours ago. But we don’t know if we’re missing something! Her droppings seem runnier, too. We gave her another Epsom salt bath just a bit ago and it seems some of her fluffy back feathers are falling out. She was clucking quietly this morning but I just don’t know now. Gave her more calcium and some Vit B complex.

We’re concerned about her!

Back
Top Bottom