Egg bound or something else

Did you happen to take a photo of the poop?

Do you think she may be constipated? If so, give her 1tsp coconut oil twice a day, see if that helps get things moving.
I didn’t think to take a picture. It was white on the outside and seemed to have digested pellets in it. It was soft but not runny. She seems to be pooping regularly so I don’t think it’s constipation. Her feet and legs look fine from what I can see. I’ll try to get photos tomorrow. She's resting comfortably and I’ve poked, prodded and soaked the poor girl enough for today…so I’ll let her rest.

Update…she seems to be improving. She’s still not walking but is standing a bit - although not directly up yet. But she is moving herself around in the cage very frequently whereas three days ago she wasn’t moving at all. She actually leapt out of her Epsom salt bath yesterday! I’m not certain she’s egg bound because it’s been since Friday and I think she would be in much worse shape if that were the case. So I am continuing with the soaks and calcium and nutridrench because something seems to be working. Although a bit slowly. She’s very content in the house and other than the fact she isn’t walking is a perfectly happy chicken. Other than the fact my husband keeps calling her by the wrong name. He’s calling her Gert (who is my bitchy Wyandotte named after my least favorite aunt ) when her name is Freida. 😂

Posting an update so I can keep track of progreso so far:

1. 12/28-found chicken in run after dark. Set her in the coop
  2. 12/29-chicken in exact same spot in coop in a.m.
  3. 12/30- brought inside thinking she was egg bound. Added electrolytes to water. Epsom salt baths a couple times a day. Calcitrate tablets once a day. Egg with nutridrench. Continued through 1/4. Stopped baths.
at this point I was pretty sure she is not egg bound. No eggs laid. Normal poops still very alert. Moving herself around more propping herself on haunches for only seconds at a time. Not fully standing at all. I started to wonder if she was even laying. I had seen her only one time in a nest box.

1. 1/7 started adding Backyard Boost Poultry supplement to water. Continued with 1/2 an egg and calcitrate. Over the next few days she’s moving around much more and by 1/12 she’s standing for minutes at a time! Still using her wings to balance when trying to walk. On 1/10, 1/12, 1/13 she has laid eggs.
  2. 1/14 she took several steps in a row before having to use her wings to balance. Started her on 1/2 tablet of b complex and reduced calcium tab to 1/2.
I have been taking her out of the cage and letting her out on the floor in the bathroom so she can move around a bit. I found her in a pile of laundry laying an egg once! Any suggestions if I need to do something else? Or stop doing something? She’s still eating all flock feed. I do throw her a teaspoon of scratch grains to try and encourage her to move around on her own.

Posting an update so I can keep track of progreso so far:

1. 12/28-found chicken in run after dark. Set her in the coop
  2. 12/29-chicken in exact same spot in coop in a.m.
  3. 12/30- brought inside thinking she was egg bound. Added electrolytes to water. Epsom salt baths a couple times a day. Calcitrate tablets once a day. Egg with nutridrench. Continued through 1/4. Stopped baths.
at this point I was pretty sure she is not egg bound. No eggs laid. Normal poops still very alert. Moving herself around more propping herself on haunches for only seconds at a time. Not fully standing at all. I started to wonder if she was even laying. I had seen her only one time in a nest box.

1. 1/7 started adding Backyard Boost Poultry supplement to water. Continued with 1/2 an egg and calcitrate. Over the next few days she’s moving around much more and by 1/12 she’s standing for minutes at a time! Still using her wings to balance when trying to walk. On 1/10, 1/12, 1/13 she has laid eggs.
  2. 1/14 she took several steps in a row before having to use her wings to balance. Started her on 1/2 tablet of b complex and reduced calcium tab to 1/2.
I have been taking her out of the cage and letting her out on the floor in the bathroom so she can move around a bit. I found her in a pile of laundry laying an egg once! Any suggestions if I need to do something else? Or stop doing something? She’s still eating all flock feed. I do throw her a teaspoon of scratch grains to try and encourage her to move around on her own.
Since she's laying eggs, I would stop the extra calcium.

Good that you are giving B Complex, hopefully that may help with her legs.

If she's still unable to stand, she may be suffering from Marek's disease, but it's hard to know unless you lose her and have testing through your state lab.

Since she's laying eggs, I would stop the extra calcium.

Good that you are giving B Complex, hopefully that may help with her legs.

If she's still unable to stand, she may be suffering from Marek's disease, but it's hard to know unless you lose her and have testing through your state lab.
Thank you for the tip. I will stop the calcium. And just hope for the best ! She’s seems to tolerate standing better each day. And today she took steps without having to use her wings at all. She’s progressing. Slowly…but I’ll keep keepin on!

Back
Top Bottom