Egg bound or something else

fallenmaplefarms

Chirping
Apr 16, 2023
New York
I have a gold laced Wyandotte that I found hanging in the run after dark. She couldn’t walk so I plopped her in the coop thinking she just fell asleep. The next morning she was still in the same spot. She’s very new to laying. In fact I only ever saw her in the nest box last week for the first time. She turned 8 months old on Christmas. She eating and pooping and it looks normal. And I’ve seen her drink She’s alert and her comb and waddles are bright red. You can see her vent moving like she’s trying to push something out. I’ve given her calcium tablet and electrolytes in the water and epsom salt soak. She is in my bathroom with a humidifier running and I occasionally steam the room with the shower. I did try to feel for an egg by checking her vent but I couldn’t feel anything and did not want to poke too far. She’s not standing but is laying around. Any thoughts tips or suggestions?

She’s very new to laying. In fact I only ever saw her in the nest box last week for the first time. She turned 8 months old on Christmas. She eating and pooping and it looks normal.

You can see her vent moving like she’s trying to push something out. I’ve given her calcium tablet and electrolytes in the water and epsom salt soak.

She’s not standing but is laying around.
I'd give her the Calcium Citrate tablet for a few days.

If she's pooping, then she's not got an egg low enough to be blocking the vent (yet). But she may be having some troubles pushing out an egg, perhaps a soft shelled egg since she's just now come into lay.
Hopefully the extra Calcium will help with contractions and she'll be able to push the egg on out.

Thank you for all the suggestions. She just had a scrambled egg with a calcium tablet crushed up in it and she ate it right up. She’s still drinking and she just pooped probably the biggest ball of poo I’ve ever seen. It was three quarters the size of a golf ball. I’m about to resume her epsom salt soaks. She’s still very alert and is not pale at all. She does seem to be moving herself around in the cage a bit more. But still is not walking but more balancing her wings to move about.

Back
Top Bottom