Broody or something else?

ChickentenderNC42

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2023
My 1 ye old barred rock this morning was puffy and sluggish. We immediately separated her. I checked up her vent for an egg but nothing. She’s pooped three times since this morning and it’s solid. No runny or worms. No blood in the poop. No mites I checked her. Vent looks fine. She’s eating. I checked her crop this am and it was drained. No foul smell coming from her mouth. Rest of flock is normal.

All that being said, She just doesn’t seem well. She’s still sluggish and seems tired She is nested in a box in my bathroom and does these T. rex noises when I try and handle her. She’s usually pretty fiery but she xtra fussy today.

I’m taking her to the vet tomorrow but if she’s just broody I don’t want to spend the $$ for nothing. Any thoughts??

T-Rex noises makes me think broody. If you look at her underbelly, has she plucked out all her feathers? If you put an egg in front of her in the box, does she pull it under her?

I think her feathers are all there. I did give her an egg and she didn’t aggressively put it under her but she did roll it to herself and sit on it.

I think her feathers are all there. I did give her an egg and she didn’t aggressively put it under her but she did roll it to herself and sit on it.

You can check your other birds’ bellies for comparison but usually broodies pluck all the feathers along their keel bone.

If she was sick I doubt she would put the egg under her. My money is on broody.

You can check your other birds’ bellies for comparison but usually broodies pluck all the feathers along their keel bone.

If she was sick I doubt she would put the egg under her. My money is on broody.
I will definitely check them all tomorrow. She just seems dazed. When she lays down she does pancake out too so I’m like that also seems broody.

I will definitely check them all tomorrow. She just seems dazed. When she lays down she does pancake out too so I’m like that also seems broody.

Yeah pancake is classic broody behaviour. It’s like they go into a trance while they are sitting and even if you move them it can take awhile for them to break out of it.

Yeah pancake is classic broody behaviour. It’s like they go into a trance while they are sitting and even if you move them it can take awhile for them to break out of it.
Thank you. All signs pointing to broody. I’m going to hold off on the vet for a few days. She doesn’t seem uncomfortable or in pain. No issues breathing or upper respiratory stuff. I’m gonna keep her inside a few days and keep monitoring her and it seems broody I guess I need to figure out how to break her. Or I may put some eggs under her and expand my flock ha.

Can you get a video of her?
Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Some of what you've posted does sound like she's broody, but the mention of being sluggish, tired, lethargic and dazed is a bit of a concern.
While broody hens can sort of zone out, I've never had one that acted sluggish or lethargic, nor have I ever thought one was sick/unwell when they were broody.

My 1 ye old barred rock this morning was puffy and sluggish.

She just doesn’t seem well. She’s still sluggish and seems tired She is nested in a box in my bathroom and does these T. rex noises when I try and handle her.

She just seems dazed

Can you get a video of her?
Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Some of what you've posted does sound like she's broody, but the mention of being sluggish, tired, lethargic and dazed is a bit of a concern.
While broody hens can sort of zone out, I've never had one that acted sluggish or lethargic, nor have I ever thought one was sick/unwell when they were broody.
Yes I can try and do it tomorrow. It is weird like she does come out of it. She is in a trance but then like she also runs around and is acting feisty. But also zoning out/in a trace like
My 1 ye old barred rock this morning was puffy and sluggish. We immediately separated her. I checked up her vent for an egg but nothing. She’s pooped three times since this morning and it’s solid. No runny or worms. No blood in the poop. No mites I checked her. Vent looks fine. She’s eating. I checked her crop this am and it was drained. No foul smell coming from her mouth. Rest of flock is normal.

All that being said, She just doesn’t seem well. She’s still sluggish and seems tired She is nested in a box in my bathroom and does these T. rex noises when I try and handle her. She’s usually pretty fiery but she xtra fussy today.

I’m taking her to the vet tomorrow but if she’s just broody I don’t want to spend the $$ for nothing. Any thoughts??
Well. She’s back to normal today. She woke me up this morning very vocal and singing her egg song. Trying to escape her box with gusto. I gave her some scrambled egg and she ate it and is drinking water. No longer puffy. Took a massive poop this morning that looked normal. I released her back with her flock and she seems fine I have no clue what caused this but either way I think she is fine. Unless things change again but she’s eating, drinking, and socializing again.

Yes I can try and do it tomorrow. It is weird like she does come out of it. She is in a trance but then like she also runs around and is acting feisty. But also zoning out/in a trace like

Well. She’s back to normal today. She woke me up this morning very vocal and singing her egg song. Trying to escape her box with gusto. I gave her some scrambled egg and she ate it and is drinking water. No longer puffy. Took a massive poop this morning that looked normal. I released her back with her flock and she seems fine I have no clue what caused this but either way I think she is fine. Unless things change again but she’s eating, drinking, and socializing again.
Glad she's back to normal.
Could be she's pre-broody, they can act a bit odd at times. I'd just keep tabs on her for a few days and hopefully she's just fine.

Back
Top Bottom