Need help diagnosing

Everything I’ve researched says aged layers. She’s only 9 months
She seems awful young to have that. Have you treated for mites just in case? They can do that to the rear-end area. I'd dust her with permethrin powder and the coop too.

Plucking by other chickens can also do that. Any bullying noticed?

Has she laid an egg recently? If not, I'd give her a calcium pill, as in open her beak and pop one of yours in, around 400 mg. If it has anything to do with her reproductive tract, the calcium will cause contractions and she should expel it.

Not saying it's not ascites, but I'd try a few other things first before culling her. ❤️

I was thinking that. What is the treatment for this that I’d be able to do? Or is it too much and better to dispatch
Usually draining of the fluid in the belly is done to help them feel more comfortable. But in the end the bird still ends up being put down.

She seems awful young to have that. Have you treated for mites just in case? They can do that to the rear-end area. I'd dust her with permethrin powder and the coop too.

Plucking by other chickens can also do that. Any bullying noticed?

Has she laid an egg recently? If not, I'd give her a calcium pill, as in open her beak and pop one of yours in, around 400 mg. If it has anything to do with her reproductive tract, the calcium will cause contractions and she should expel it.

Not saying it's not ascites, but I'd try a few other things first before culling her. ❤️
Thanks. I don’t see any signs of mites. No bullying. She’s pretty high up on the pecking order.
Her and about 3 others (I have 23) have the same color eggs so hard to tell if it’s been only 2 days or 5. My eggs went from 16-18 day to 8-14 day the past 2 weeks. I gave her the calcium pill and about 1.5 hr later she had a big very stinky poop. Not watery but very loose. I’m keeping her inside in my tub for the night to see how it goes. Praying she’s still with us and better in the morning

Hi Honey, I think I would also go with the permethrin if I was in the states, over here I would use either Xeno 450 (a nuclear bomb for parasites) and if nothing changes in 24 hours then a pick me up called Poultry Power (made by Nettex) which is like a Hen reboot (in computer terms). I truely hope that all comes out okay for you and your girl,
Take care sweet and big Hugz

Back
Top Bottom