Egg bound or stressed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MyrtleTurtle, Dec 15, 2012.

1. MyrtleTurtle

MyrtleTurtle New Egg

Dec 14, 2012
    High Point, NC
    Hello everyone! I'm a newbie and have had a backyard flock of 5 for just over a week. It's been so much fun and so rewarding.

When we brought them home, we were told they were all laying, but because of the move, we could expect about a week with no eggs. A week has come and gone and I've spent alot of time with my girls making them comfortable (bribing them with treats and 4 of the 5 are hand "feed-able"). I've given them a good look over and have been working to get them comfortable with being held to check their eyes, nose, feet, etc with great success.

I palpated them today since they've passed the time frame the original owners gave and can feel an egg in about 3 of their bellies. Normally I would wait it out, I'm in no hurry yet, but when checking them out today i noticed a crusty bit of yellow on one's vent. I added probiotics to their water in case of yeast but of course google has gotten me worried maybe shes egg bound or an egg has broken in her.

I'm a worry wart, I know, but I've waited years to get my flock and in a week have reallt bonded with these ladies and would be heart broken if something happened to them.

Theyre otherwise healthy, pest free and like I said I'm a newbie and a worry wart.

Also the ameraucana I got (on top of being smack dab in the middle of a moult and scraggly from the prev owners rooster, so not expecting her to lay for a while) is getting picked on. She looks and sounds healthy, but since the others started pecking her shes gone from grazing with the flock to staying in the heated coop. She will still sleep with the group but seems a little clumsy and scared when the others are around (sticking her face in the corner) Is this normal?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. Familyochickens

Familyochickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    Indiana
    bumping this up, not sure what to say, just want this answered....

1 person likes this.
  3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I've only had chickens for about 9 months now so I'm still a little new too. When my girls first started laying eggs they had all kinds of issues.
    Soft shell, shell less eggs and lethargic chickens were common. Now that they are a little older and have been laying since July we don't have anymore of these issues. Do you know how old your chickens are and how long they have been laying? Stress probably has a lot to do with it. Give them more time and in the spring your will have eggs.

1 person likes this.
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    1 person likes this.
  5. MyrtleTurtle

MyrtleTurtle New Egg

Dec 14, 2012
    High Point, NC
    Thanks for your help guys. one of our ladies left us a present a little while ago! i hope the others go soon since i can feel the eggs in their bellies and dont want to run into a problem. I'm gonna check their bellies tonight and hopefully our egg came from miss Myrtle!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by