Egg bound, or...?

She does have the signs of egg binding. Give her more calcium. What type calcium is it? Carbonate, citrate, or gluconate? What is the strength? It needs to be around 600mg to be effective. It must be given directly into the beak and not diluted.

Egg binding causes changes which affects fluids in the body, causing dehydration. So make available plenty of water. She needs to be in a quiet place where she can relax with no stress. Hold off on any further soaks for now. Just allow her to rest quietly.
Where are you getting 600mg? That seem like a lot even for a human. It can constipate a human if taken in large doses.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know exactly how calcium works to increase contractions, therefore enabling a hen who is struggling with a stubborn egg to get it out, but over all these years, many of us here have found it to work in a very high number of cases of egg binding. In fact, I had to use it on a hen of mine just last night at dark. She had been in the nest for several hours trying to lay an egg. It's happened to her before, and the calcium tablet always gives her the edge she needed to get the egg out.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know exactly how calcium works to increase contractions, therefore enabling a hen who is struggling with a stubborn egg to get it out, but over all these years, many of us here have found it to work in a very high number of cases of egg binding. In fact, I had to use it on a hen of mine just last night at dark. She had been in the nest for several hours trying to lay an egg. It's happened to her before, and the calcium tablet always gives her the edge she needed to get the egg out.
Still no egg, but she seems okay - pooping, eating meal worms and scrambled egg, just hanging out quietly in her crate. Is there anything more I can do for her? How odten should I give the calcium?

You can give her a second calcium dose. And be sure she's drinking water. It's crucial she stay hydrated or her condition will worsen.

You can put a little sugar in the water to encourage her and it will have the advantage of elevating her glucose and keeping her stable,

Back
Top Bottom