Egg bound? Please help

ecirell

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2022
I have a 18 week leghorn who has a loud personality that appeared to be acting differently hanging out in nesting box on Monday. She appeared listless, frequently laying and falling asleep. I noticed later in day her gait was wide. That evening she laid her first egg which did not have shell. She was painting at the time but then seemed ok afterwards. The next day she was the last to wake up and just laid at edge of coop. He tail was down and had hunched back. After researching I thought maybe she was egg bound. Tuesday I gave her 3 epsom salt baths, tums, electrolytes, applied vasaline to vent and lastly put 2 ml of mineral oil in vent. I did stick my pinky in and didn’t feel anything but was afraid I didn't go far enough. Her abdomen felt hard but later in day became soft although I’m not sure I was feeling in right area Initially :( I’m new with chickens. Today she was acting completely normal. Good appetite, had a solid stool but her tail is still low and still has a hunch in back that she didn’t have before. Please help what can be causing this if not egg bound or should I recheck her vent again . Thank you!

I have a 18 week leghorn who has a loud personality that appeared to be acting differently hanging out in nesting box on Monday. She appeared listless, frequently laying and falling asleep. I noticed later in day her gait was wide. That evening she laid her first egg which did not have shell. She was painting at the time but then seemed ok afterwards. The next day she was the last to wake up and just laid at edge of coop. He tail was down and had hunched back. After researching I thought maybe she was egg bound. Tuesday I gave her 3 epsom salt baths, tums, electrolytes, applied vasaline to vent and lastly put 2 ml of mineral oil in vent. I did stick my pinky in and didn’t feel anything but was afraid I didn't go far enough. Her abdomen felt hard but later in day became soft although I’m not sure I was feeling in right area Initially :( I’m new with chickens. Today she was acting completely normal. Good appetite, had a solid stool but her tail is still low and still has a hunch in back that she didn’t have before. Please help what can be causing this if not egg bound or should I recheck her vent again . Thank you!
I also fed her egg shells, massaged abdomen. Her vent was pulsating intensely yesterday but normal today. Oh and no egg since the soft one.

Hi! I am totally not an expert, but is your hen still alive? If so, I don't think that she's egg bound. My chicken's vents pulse even when they are fully healthy, so I think it's normal. Is her vent swollen? Maybe isolate her? Sorry I can’t help more.
-chippycheeks

Back
Top Bottom