Egg-bound problem -- broken egg high up in chest -- need advice, please

I like the string idea, but there is so much underbrush here that it might be dangerous. I think I am going to risk letting her out tomorrow. I think this is her fourth night inside. I wish she wasn't so wild.

Fair enough. I personally ended up culling really wild ones that wouldn't tame because they're a pain in the rear! They're trouble for you, for themselves, and for other animals. Some roosters actively encourage fear of humans, and some hens train their chicks that way despite being tame themselves, and I don't keep either of that sort. It gets to be too much trouble to manage them or treat them and they can train others to be like themselves or breed more of the same.

If she does have eggs somewhere, but she's been inside four nights, and she's eating well, maybe just let her go and not worry about her. Chances are good the eggs will fail to hatch and she will come back, hopefully with a lesson learned. But probably not. She'll most likely continue this pattern of time wasting behavior until you put a permanent stop to it, which can be as simple as giving her to someone who cages their hens or has a limited yard.

Anyway, obviously I wouldn't keep her, but if you do, best wishes with her.

Back
Top Bottom