Egg bound/prolapse

KatH2580

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2020
I went to see my chickens this afternoon and one of my Brahma hens was puffed up and had an egg size red lump hanging from her vent. I tried to get vet but being a weekend they were out of hours and I didn't want to leave her for 48hrs. I managed turn and get egg out, there was a minor tear but no bleeding and I didn't break the egg. I have since bathed her and sprayed purple antiseptic around the vent (which now looks normal). She is sleeping in a pet crate in the house with lights off, on a clean towel with access to food and water. Have I done right and is she likely to recover? Is this likely to happen again next time she tries to lay? She is a young Brahma and has only started laying a few weeks ago. She has access to oyster shell and is on layers pellets. The egg was normal small pullet egg with normal shell. Any advice?
received_349976533013475.jpeg

Prolapsed vents can happen from straining to poop or lay an egg, and other possible reasons. Egg binding at the same time is a more rare occurance, but it is good that you managed to get the egg out. I would keep her vent clean, use some Vetericyn wound spray or diluted chlorhexidene on her vent a couple of times a day. If her vent seems torn or the prolapse comes out, you can soak her bottom in a shallow warm bath with Epsom salts or chlorhexidene. Plain dish soap works as well. If any prolapse tissue comes back out, it must be kept moist with honey or a mild oil, and try to push it back inside.

It can take 3-4 days to stop laying temporarily. That is accomplished by keeping her in the dark for 16 hours a day, and let her out in light for 8 hours a day to walk around, eat, and drink.

Back
Top Bottom