Egg bound? Prolapse?

growandresist

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
This morning our 1 yr old polish hen isolated herself. She has appeared normal up to this point- laying regularly, eating/drinking, etc. This morning her feathers were fluffed and her tail down. And she didn't move when I approached her and she normally follows me everywhere.
She has white/slightly yellowed diarrhea that is caking around her vent. Her vent area is slightly bulging.
I thought she might be egg bound or begining to prolapse. I gloved/lubed and felt around and she does have a small hard lump just inside her vent, but it is less than 1/2 the size of her normal eggs....so am not sure that is it.
I gave her a warm bath/soak mid day and again tonight, but no changes.
She intermittently looks like she is panting. Her wattles appear more red than usual. She is lethargic.

Our 3 hens that live with her seem normal. We also have 8 chicks inside still in the brooder.

I have her inside the house in a dog kennel with a space heater to keep her warm and access to food/water. I am not sure what else to do.

Should I be concerned about the other chicks/hens? Anything else I can do to help her?

Sounds like your doing all you can for her, keep up the soaks and make sure she's not too hot. Also I have read that putting them on a heating pad on low with towels wrapped around the pad can also help. If you have tums you might try dissolving one in some warm water and trying to get her to drink some. Please keep us updated on her progress.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom