Egg Bound Pullet- PLEASE HELP!!

DancingWthDucks

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2016
Cumbria, UK
Hi all,

My favourite pullet, Dazzle, who is a 29 week old Partridge Wyandotte Bantam appears to be egg bound. She is normally a very active girl and was acting normally yesterday, but I found her this afternoon sat in the corner of the coop. She is showing all the symptoms: not intrested in food or water, straining trying to lay, liquid dissarge around the vent area, not being active, etc. Dazzle hasn't started laying yet.

I've removed her from the flock and put her inside a cat carrier, with lots of bedding, food and water with ACV. She has drunk a bit of water but then returned to trying to lay.

ANY or advice would be really appreciated. I really love Dazzle and I just want her to recover.

Have you inserted a lubed, gloved finger into her vent to check for the presence of an egg?

You can help her along by giving her an Epsom soak in warm water.

Fill up your sink or bucket with enough water to cover her hind-end and dissolve a generous pour of Epsom in there. The magnesium in the Epsom will be absorbed by her muscles and help her relax enough to pass the egg.

I've also heard you can crush up Tums and give them to her for a calcium boost to help move things along.

If she doesn't pass the egg within 48 hours, she could die... If it gets to an emergency point, you could try carefully inserting a needle/syringe and aspirating the contents of the egg. Then, with COPIOUS amounts of lube, start crushing the shell inside of her. You may be able to extract it that way.

I am sorry for your troubles... Keep us posted on your mama.

MrsB

Thank you very much for your reply MrsB I will go out and buy some Epson Salt today and give it a try this afternoon. I examined her this morning and she definitely has an egg shaped lump.

Egg-shaped lump!
hmm.png

I hope the Epsom gives fixes what ails her.

Let us know what happens. :)

MrsB

I am wondering if she doesn't actually have egg bound- yesterday she showed all of the symptoms but overnight she has started to improve on her own, without a Epsom Salt bath. She has started eating a little, drinking and has perked up a lot, scratching through the bedding in the quarantine cage. Her poop does look a bit unusual, but after comparing it to the chicken poop chart it appears to be runny because she hadn't really been eating. I'm planning on keeping her separate from the flock for a week or two, once she has fully recovered so that she doesn't contaminate the rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom