Egg bound question

Chollister6

Chirping
Dec 27, 2018
View attachment 1746821 I have a hen that I’m pretty sure is egg bound. I found her in the corner of the coop sitting with her feathers fluffed out. Her tail seems to be pulsing and once I looked at her vent it looks like egg whites could be coming out. I got her into an epsom salt bath now but I read to give her calcium. Being that it is Easter not many stores are open. I don’t have calcium pills or tums so I was wondering if anyone knew if I could give her a pack of emergen-c?

Also, I do have her separated in a quiet area. Is there anything else I should be doing? Since I see egg whites could that mean it’s brokwn inside her. And if it is is there anything else I can do to help her?

Thank you in advance for all of your help and I posted a picture of her relaxing in the bath!

Attachments

• 29C61B13-2730-46A4-9AAC-E35443FF0440.jpeg
    29C61B13-2730-46A4-9AAC-E35443FF0440.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 16
View attachment 1746821 I have a hen that I’m pretty sure is egg bound. I found her in the corner of the coop sitting with her feathers fluffed out. Her tail seems to be pulsing and once I looked at her vent it looks like egg whites could be coming out. I got her into an epsom salt bath now but I read to give her calcium. Being that it is Easter not many stores are open. I don’t have calcium pills or tums so I was wondering if anyone knew if I could give her a pack of emergen-c?

Also, I do have her separated in a quiet area. Is there anything else I should be doing? Since I see egg whites could that mean it’s brokwn inside her. And if it is is there anything else I can do to help her?

Thank you in advance for all of your help and I posted a picture of her relaxing in the bath!
How is she doing now?
Were you able to feel an egg inside the vent?
Is she able to poop?

The main thing would be to keep her hydrated. You can give her a little yogurt if you wish.
Has she been having trouble laying eggs? You mention that it looks like egg whites are coming out of the vent, she may have a soft shelled egg in there and the contents have leaked out. Hopefully she will expel the membrane. It's possible she could have expelled the membrane before you noticed her too - if that's the case, a lot of times other chickens will scarf that up quickly.
https://hencam.com/henblog/2015/08/a-laying-glitch/

Let us know how she is.

I was going to ask the same question about my lady and came across your post. Am interested in the feedback.
I too have given her a warm bath, I’ve had to force feed some mushy food and water mixed with stockgain. (Al I have in the cupboard) I was also told to put Vaseline around the vent. She’s now quietly sitting back in her coup where I’ve left her. She’s been like this for 2 days now.

Attachments

• 5C2FB67C-D358-4943-B8A6-5A88F2B58CC3.jpeg
    5C2FB67C-D358-4943-B8A6-5A88F2B58CC3.jpeg
    892.8 KB · Views: 15
I was going to ask the same question about my lady and came across your post. Am interested in the feedback.
I too have given her a warm bath, I’ve had to force feed some mushy food and water mixed with stockgain. (Al I have in the cupboard) I was also told to put Vaseline around the vent. She’s now quietly sitting back in her coup where I’ve left her. She’s been like this for 2 days now.
Hi @mryan80 :frow Welcome To BYC
Poor girl!
Is she able to poop?
How old is she?
Have you felt inside the vent for an egg?
Any swelling/bloat or fluid in the abdomen when you feel between her legs below the vent?

She is quite pale and not doing too well from the looks of the photo.

Hi @mryan80 :frow Welcome To BYC
Poor girl!
Is she able to poop?
How old is she?
Have you felt inside the vent for an egg?
Any swelling/bloat or fluid in the abdomen when you feel between her legs below the vent?

She is quite pale and not doing too well from the looks of the photo.

I have felt around (not sure what I’m feeling for) but there is no swelling either in abdomen or beneath vent.
I did feel inside for an egg yesterday, but felt nothing.
She is currently 30 weeks tomorrow and I believe over a week ago she had laid 2 soft shell eggs. (First time laying)
She is doing only watery white poos. Nothing solid as she hasn’t really eaten other than the small amount I can get into her.

I have felt around (not sure what I’m feeling for) but there is no swelling either in abdomen or beneath vent.
I did feel inside for an egg yesterday, but felt nothing.
She is currently 30 weeks tomorrow and I believe over a week ago she had laid 2 soft shell eggs. (First time laying)
She is doing only watery white poos. Nothing solid as she hasn’t really eaten other than the small amount I can get into her.
Do you have vet care?
Is her crop empty in the mornings?

She looks pretty lethargic - can you put her in a steamed up bathroom or on a moist heating pad set on low. I would try to get some calcium into her and keep her hydrated.
If she laid a couple of soft shelled eggs she may be trying to pass another one - they are very hard to pass. Soaking her make put her over the edge.

Do you have vet care?
Is her crop empty in the mornings?

She looks pretty lethargic - can you put her in a steamed up bathroom or on a moist heating pad set on low. I would try to get some calcium into her and keep her hydrated.
If she laid a couple of soft shelled eggs she may be trying to pass another one - they are very hard to pass. Soaking her make put her over the edge.

Her crop is empty. I’ve been hand feeding her (force) and syringing stockgain diluted.

So today she isn’t as lethargic. She is drinking. No egg has passed but I can feel it from the outside like below her vent like her “fluff butt” area. I have her inside by herself in a tote. I offered crushed egg shells and scrambled eggs but she hasn’t touched it. She is able to poop at least a little. I put a little olive oil on her vent... honestly just trying anything to help. I’m at work today hoping she can get the egg out before I get home. I am in a Newcastle quarantine area so taking her to the vet is out of the question. We have had several shell less eggs laid in our coop but we were unsure if she was the one laying them. Thank you everyone for the advice.

Oh and she is 10 months old!

Back
Top Bottom