Egg bound rescue hen

Andit_543

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2020
So we rehomed from a farm a few weeks ago and one of the girls is having real problems laying. Twice I've had to take her in and give her Epsom salt baths to get her to pass what's blocking her. It's always soft shell or egg components. She has been wormed with marriage layers pellets that have the wormer in, she has Oyster shell, I've been giving her a calcium supplement in the water and natural yogurt as a treat but she can't seem to get healthy. I've read somewhere about an injection or implant you can get them to stop them laying for a while, give them time to reset. Anyone know what this is and where I might be able to get it in North Wales, don't want to lose her because she gets egg bound and I don't notice in time

Sorry for the late update, have been trying all sorts and just when she seems better she then goes down hill again...
Have attached some. Pics of what she's passed yesterday. Today she has stopped eating but is still drinking. Hoping to get her the vet in the next day or so but I don't think my vet is particularly good with chickens so any guidenence would be great. I'm worried she has a tumor or infection in her reproductive tract.

Attachments

• IMG_20200912_094013.jpg
    IMG_20200912_094013.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200912_093936.jpg
    IMG_20200912_093936.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 2
Sorry for the late update, have been trying all sorts and just when she seems better she then goes down hill again...
Have attached some. Pics of what she's passed yesterday. Today she has stopped eating but is still drinking. Hoping to get her the vet in the next day or so but I don't think my vet is particularly good with chickens so any guidenence would be great. I'm worried she has a tumor or infection in her reproductive tract.
I'm sorry that she's declining.
I would lean heavily toward reproductive problems, which one it's hard to know all of them can look similar. She may benefit from antibiotics to help fight infection. Have your vet run a fecal float as well. Seeking an avian vet that is knowledgeable in poultry is probably better, but to be honest the reproductive problems that hens have are fatal. Taking steps to make them comfortable and offer supportive care is commendable if it's something you can easily afford and your vet is in agreement.

Back
Top Bottom