Egg Bound RIR Hen

botesbabe

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Ash, NC
I have 5 RIR hens that are about 2 years old. Very Healthy until recently. One of the hens was egg bound(not sure how long, but I noticed it on Saturday). I immediately isolated her and removed a broken egg(already broken) from her vent, cleaned her vent area, and trimmed all the droppings/broken eggs from her feathers. I could not feel any more fragments or anything, so I cleaned the area and put her back in isolation. She is acting normal(eating, drinking, pecking, etc), but still acts like there is something "stuck" and like she is trying to pass something large. Is it possible that she has more eggs stuck? Do they "back-up" if she can't lay? HELP!

Tonya

Edited to add- She(and all my hens) is free range/locked up at night. Their "friends" are a dominique rooster, a mixed Rooster, and a Muscovy drake. The drake(who out weights them by probably 7 pounds) has been caught trying to mate with them a few times... could this be what caused the egg to break inside her? T.

Last edited:
Let her sit in some warm water to help the area relax. Keep her in a small cage indoors if you can. I have given mine Tums for the calcium. Lubricate her vent with vaseline. If she is eating and drinking that's a great sign. Good Luck!!!

She seems to be more alert(she was never bad before, but seems more "back to normal" ) How long should I keep her isolated from the other chickens? Should I wait until she lays again? She is no longer acting like she is struggling to lay and her vent looks normal as far as I can tell(she is more aggressive about being picked up today also). When I removed the broken egg- I am almost positive I got it all and there was no blood involved to speak of. Just a red area near the opening of her vent that may have just been irritation. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Tonya

I'd give her 24 hrs of feeling and looking normal and then if you think she'd be happier back with the others then let her. I'm glad she's better, she sounds like she has a good mommy looking after her.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words.
big_smile.png
I did a LOT of googling and read and re-read Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens before I did anything!
wink.png
She is frantic to be out of our chicken tractor(the only place I had to isolate her), so if she is still acting better tomorrow- I will turn her back into the coop with the rest of my hens. They are free range until garden season starts(or they refuse to lay in one spot
roll.png
).

Thanks so much chickensioux!

Tonya

Back
Top Bottom