Egg bound silkie hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by posey, Nov 3, 2013.

1. posey

posey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    Hi all,
    Last Sunday I purchased a silkie about 1 1/2 yrs old. She did not lay all week and I wasn't too concerned since it is the time of year for moulting and she was recently moved to a new home. Several days ago I was holding her and I could feel an egg inside her abdomen. I have not personally had an egg bound hen issue before but I knew to give her a warm soak. Within an hour she layed a semi-hard shelled egg and I though everything would be fine.

Later that day I discovered another egg in her abdomen and it feels awfully large for a silkie. I can tell that it has a shell by the way it feels in her abdomen. I have been giving her the warm soaks the past 3 days but nothing is happening. She is walking normally, eating and drinking and acting normal but she is clearly trying to lay that egg. I know how serious this can be and want to do anything I can for her. We have no vet here that will care for chickens, so that's not an option.

What else can I try? I'd like to massage her and try to get that egg out but I don't want to break it inside of her. Suggestions, please!
    Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure she is getting calcium in crushed egg shells, crushed oyster shell, or you can even give crushed 1/2 Tums or 1/4 of a calcium tablet. The calcium can help to lay the egg. You can also use a rubber glove lubricated with KY jelly, and check her vent for the egg. Warm soaks for as long as 30 minutes may help pass the egg. Here is a link to read: http://www.avianweb.com/eggbinding.html

3. posey

posey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    We provide good quality feed with oyster shell free choice, always.

I have already stuck my finger into her cloaca (spelling???) I can touch the egg and actually had my finger hooked down around. At least it felt that way. Because I am unsure of the anatomy and I didn't want to do anything that would make the situation worse. How can I know if the egg that I can feel is in the tube that leads to the vent? I am afraid the there may be an internal membrane between my finger and where I can feel the egg. Is that possible?

Also, I can feel a large (size of quarter) roundish mass on the left side, inside the vent. I know the feel of a shell-less egg this is not that way. It almost feels like it is full of air and is movable but firm. What is that?

Suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by