Egg Bound Silkie! VERY URGENT PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkiesForEver, Nov 18, 2012.

1. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    About a month ago, my silkie should have started to lay, her sisters were laying regularly at that time so I figured maybe she was just late. Well its been more than a month since then and I started to get a little worried. Just yesterday she went broody and I picked her up today to take her out to get food and dust bathe. My hand brushed her abdomen and I felt something hard and round inside. I'm know its an egg.
    Please help I'm really worried!
    Thanks!!!

2. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Please help!! She has been trying to push it out for three hours but no luck! Please help, she is my favorite Silkie, I love her to death! [​IMG]

3. jewel1

jewel1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Serach for egg bound on this site for advice. I think it involves soaking her in somw warm water to relax her, then lubricating your finger and putting it inside the vent to help get the egg out?

4. Chefswifey

Chefswifey Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    Spokane, WA
    typically you can't feel the egg internally... is it possible that you're feeling her crop(where food is processed)... this can be hard and egg shaped... if this is her first egg it'll probably hurt :(... have you tried putting her in a cage with a hot pan of water steaming under her(where it can't touch her feet)? are her legs spread and she's bearing down? pics? Good LUCK!!

5. Chefswifey

Chefswifey Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    Spokane, WA
    I wouldn't put your finger in her vent for fear that you'll accidentally crack the egg and the shards of egg will def hurt her... :( warm moist heat should help moisurize ther area down there... I'm not sure about a bath though... definitely search for the egg bound thread on here!

6. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I did search. We have bathed her, massaged her abdomen, gave her oil, "steamed" her, and done everything we know to do! Its just not working! [​IMG]I have her is front of our heater, keeping warm. I hope in the morning she will have laid an egg, and all will be better. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by