Egg bound vs internal laying? Help!

Kangasox

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2015
My 6 month Welsh Harlequn is sick. This morning I went to let them out, and she stayed in the pen, laying under the ramp. She eventually got up and moved slowly out to the rest of the ducks. Her back end looks puffy, tail is down. We have also gotten some very small eggs (which I have deduced are from the WH, we only have 2) sporadically, and found a couple rubbery ones in the pen and pool. They have Oyster shell out and get calcium via crushed egg shells. Do I take her to a vet or try home remedies first? I plan to try the KY jelly/warm bath today. Of course were supposed to leave on vacation Wednesday. I want sure if it's an emergency or I should try at home first.

My 6 month Welsh Harlequn is sick. This morning I went to let them out, and she stayed in the pen, laying under the ramp. She eventually got up and moved slowly out to the rest of the ducks. Her back end looks puffy, tail is down. We have also gotten some very small eggs (which I have deduced are from the WH, we only have 2) sporadically, and found a couple rubbery ones in the pen and pool. They have Oyster shell out and get calcium via crushed egg shells. Do I take her to a vet or try home remedies first? I plan to try the KY jelly/warm bath today. Of course were supposed to leave on vacation Wednesday. I want sure if it's an emergency or I should try at home first.
@Amiga is better with this Kanga but If at all possible I would take her to the vet. I'll see if I can find the thread Amiga posted on for another member. .

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1126543/need-advice-pekin-duck-not-able-to-stand#post_17386121 Post 7..@Kangasox

Last edited:
@Kangasox - at this point, I would get her to the vet as soon as possible.

It seems something is seriously wrong with her egg laying system.

And the first line of treatment may be as straightforward as getting her on the proper dose of Metacam or other recommended anti-inflammatory. I would not necessarily leap into surgery if that option is presented, though if the case is made based on finding out what's going on, then that may be the best way forward in spite of the risks.

hugs.gif

I think she needs to be on antibiotics - our vet prescribed Bactrium for 14 days.

@Miss Lydia - many many thanks for tagging me...I don't get on the forum as much as I used to, so I have email sent to me when I am tagged.

Last edited:
@Amiga & @Miss Lydia it seems sudden. I know birds hide illnesses well, so maybe that's it. When I went home to check on her, she was keepong up with the group, still slow, but perkier. Drat. And no idea how to get meds into her and we'll be gone.

I think the same thing might be happening with one of my WHs. She will just stand there away from the others, sometimes bobbing her tail. I've also seen one hiding under the ramp to their pool, which I had assumed was because of the heat these last couple weeks. Today I moved the ramp and found one really messed up looking egg. It was partly soft and partly hard with calcium buildups, and it had some nasty yellow stuff on it.

While at the vet, Sechs received her first doses of Metacam and calcium and a hormone to keep her from laying for four weeks.

I think your duck might have a better chance if she could get that kind of help before you go away.

I think the same thing might be happening with one of my WHs. She will just stand there away from the others, sometimes bobbing her tail. I've also seen one hiding under the ramp to their pool, which I had assumed was because of the heat these last couple weeks. Today I moved the ramp and found one really messed up looking egg. It was partly soft and partly hard with calcium buildups, and it had some nasty yellow stuff on it.

Doulos, I think your girl needs some support....egg problems are not always fatal, but they can increase the risk of infection and prolapse.

Going to the vet 3.45. I know not it's the right thing to do, but not looking forward to the bill
1f61f.png

Back
Top Bottom