Egg bound, will my quail be okay?

Tamzel

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
My quail was having trouble laying her egg, it seemed to be stuck on the outside, hanging and covered in blood. She is a coturnix quail and she's around 8 weeks. I haven't seen blood with any of the other eggs from her or the other female Coturnix quail. And not with the bobwhite quail, chuckar partridge or hungarian partridge. With closer inspection I saw her insides stuck to the egg, and her insides were outside. I put her in warm water and very gently we helped unattach the egg. Than we were left with her insides still out, so very gently again had pushed her insides back in, it took a couple times for it to remain inside, so I held her, calmed her and kept her warm and it seemed to work. I also read I should give her 16 hours of dark, so she stops laying and can heal. Can anyone tell me if she will be okay? Or what else I should do? And if this can happen again after she heals and starts laying again? She is fed game bird feed, and crushed oyster shell, I find the crushed shell a bit big for these little guys so I grind it more in my blender. They have several water feeders that are cleaned and filled daily. I put some probiotics in her water tonight, as I did with all my quail when they were young. I have her away from the others, but I feel bad she is alone. Please help I love my birds. I feel there is more I can do for her.

Yes, eggbound with prolapse. Everything you did, was right.

I had this just once, till now, about 10 weeks ago.

I needed to push back the prolapsed vent several times over a week or so. I also used a few drops of olive oil, while pushing back, to help further eggs slipping out with less resistance, it was recommented somewhere I read before.
And warmth was also recommented.

My hen got fine again.

I am crossing fingers for your hen :fl

Yes, eggbound with prolapse. Everything you did, was right.

I had this just once, till now, about 10 weeks ago.

I needed to push back the prolapsed vent several times over a week or so. I also used a few drops of olive oil, while pushing back, to help further eggs slipping out with less resistance, it was recommented somewhere I read before.
And warmth was also recommented.

My hen got fine again.

I am crossing fingers for your hen :fl

Thank you so much. I've been so worried about my girl. I am a little more at ease and prepared if we need to assist her further. I appreciate your reply so very much. ☺️

I've had one egg-bound and prolapsed hen who's fine now, but it was a tense couple of days before she passed her egg. It's good your hen's egg came out, but if she becomes egg-bound or prolapses again, here are some more things you can do.
  • You can use your smallest finger to gently apply some water-based lubricant inside the vent, around the opening to the uterus.
  • You can apply topical human antibiotic to any damaged tissue to help prevent infection.
  • If the prolapse won't heal or comes back when she next passes an egg, you can apply a small amount of hydrocortisone (topical steroid) and gently push the prolapse back in (wear nitrile gloves if you have them). Hold it for a few minutes.
I hope she only deals with this once, but know that once a bird has had this kind of injury, it's prone to reoccurring. Just keep an eye on her. Good luck!

I've had one egg-bound and prolapsed hen who's fine now, but it was a tense couple of days before she passed her egg. It's good your hen's egg came out, but if she becomes egg-bound or prolapses again, here are some more things you can do.
  • You can use your smallest finger to gently apply some water-based lubricant inside the vent, around the opening to the uterus.
  • You can apply topical human antibiotic to any damaged tissue to help prevent infection.
  • If the prolapse won't heal or comes back when she next passes an egg, you can apply a small amount of hydrocortisone (topical steroid) and gently push the prolapse back in (wear nitrile gloves if you have them). Hold it for a few minutes.
I hope she only deals with this once, but know that once a bird has had this kind of injury, it's prone to reoccurring. Just keep an eye on her. Good luck!

I was worried about it happening again. I for some reason expected it to, and was saying last night I wish I could get her fixed, so no more laying eggs. I am keeping a close eye on her, she is eating and drinking.I have her isolated away from the others. She is in my garage, where is is quiet and dark, and she is also being kept warm. I will make sure to pick up some hydrocortisone to use now and keep on hand. She is sleeping alot, but it is dark and quiet where she is. Her vent is very very swollen, so I'm going to get the hydrocortisone asap. I will also pick up some water based lubricant. Are there any signs she will show when she's ready to lay an egg? And are there any symptoms I should watch for and be aware of. I gave her probiotics last night, and am going to alternate the probiotics with electrolytes. I give her ground oyster shell (I also blend the shell so it is smaller for her) mixed in her food, but I gave it to her in a separate feeding dish so I can monitor how much she is getting. She has fluffed up a couple times and does what she was doing yesterday when her egg was stuck, seems to be pushing. I'm not sure if being swollen has anything to do with it, or if she is trying to pass another egg. I hope she is not trying to lay an egg. I want her to heal first. She keeps eating. Almost every time I look at her she is eating. I know so many questions and statements. I just lo e her so much, and want to give her the best care. Thank you for your knowledge and experienced insight, I am very thankful.

Ps, I have a Hungarian Partridge chick that hatched around 1:30am, but on both feet their toes are curled. It is struggling to walk and often gets stuck on its backs. Do you know of anythinv I can do to help? Poor little guy looks like a fish out of water sometimes. Thank in advance.

I was worried about it happening again. I for some reason expected it to, and was saying last night I wish I could get her fixed, so no more laying eggs. I am keeping a close eye on her, she is eating and drinking.I have her isolated away from the others. She is in my garage, where is is quiet and dark, and she is also being kept warm. I will make sure to pick up some hydrocortisone to use now and keep on hand. She is sleeping alot, but it is dark and quiet where she is. Her vent is very very swollen, so I'm going to get the hydrocortisone asap. I will also pick up some water based lubricant. Are there any signs she will show when she's ready to lay an egg? And are there any symptoms I should watch for and be aware of. I gave her probiotics last night, and am going to alternate the probiotics with electrolytes. I give her ground oyster shell (I also blend the shell so it is smaller for her) mixed in her food, but I gave it to her in a separate feeding dish so I can monitor how much she is getting. She has fluffed up a couple times and does what she was doing yesterday when her egg was stuck, seems to be pushing. I'm not sure if being swollen has anything to do with it, or if she is trying to pass another egg. I hope she is not trying to lay an egg. I want her to heal first. She keeps eating. Almost every time I look at her she is eating. I know so many questions and statements. I just lo e her so much, and want to give her the best care. Thank you for your knowledge and experienced insight, I am very thankful.

Ps, I have a Hungarian Partridge chick that hatched around 1:30am, but on both feet their toes are curled. It is struggling to walk and often gets stuck on its backs. Do you know of anythinv I can do to help? Poor little guy looks like a fish out of water sometimes. Thank in advance.

You've done well so far, keeping her separated and hydrated and calm. At some point it's down to luck, but there are things we can do to help the process along.

Putting her off laying might not happen fast enough to help, and can cause other kinds of stress. Focus on keeping her hydrated and relaxed (and lubricated, as needed). Warning that a little hydrocortisone goes a long way, so use only as much as required to coat the swollen tissue.

Oyster shell is good, and plain water is probably plenty. Monitor how she poops: anything coming out? All urates (white part)? If she's pooping normal you've got time to breathe.

If an egg is stuck in the uterus, you'll be able to feel it. Flip your hen on her back and feel around the normally soft area below the keel (the elongated, fused breastbone). There will be an egg-sized lump there if they are in the process of laying. Check every couple hours. If the egg isn't moving further toward her vent, it's likely stuck.

When my girl was egg-bound, I wound up having to stick a thin, rounded, well-lubed tool handle into her uterus so I could apply lubricant directly to the dry, stuck tissue. The egg was laid barely an hour later. I can't recommend that method unless the bird is declining fast (as mine was), as it's risky to stick anything other than a careful finger inside them, but know that it can be done.

I can't speak for curled toes, as all my curly chicks self-straightened. I've heard of people using weak tape to make "shoes" for curly-toed quail/chicken chicks. The Partridge Forum might have specific experience to share.

Really hoping your girl's condition improves!

Thank you so much. I've been so worried about my girl. I am a little more at ease and prepared if we need to assist her further. I appreciate your reply so very much. ☺️
Your vivid description and advice is helping me with Ginger, my bobwhite quail. She has persistent diarrhea and I worry it might be that scary intestinal disease that quail commonly get. Any advice on how to help Ginger’s diarrhea? She is also especially thirsty.
Thank you, and I’ll be sending good vibes to your flock.

Back
Top Bottom