Egg bound?

Fishersfarms

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2017
Hello again! So we have this hen who we got kinda second hand, by the looks of things I think she is around 4-6 years old. Everything started last week when she was mysteriously walking around with her tail low and her rear ended almost touching the ground. Because we have had a few hens become egg bound we treated it like we had treated any of the others with some olive oil up the vent. This seemed to work when I went down the next day and she was walking around eating as normal. About 4 days later I went down to close the coop at night and found her standing alone dragging her butt across the floor of our run. She’s a favorite, so I immediately burst into tears...but back on point. I brought her up to the house, bathed her in a warm bath for 15 minutes with Epsom salts and kept her in a war dog kennel we had. We fed her some oatmeal and gave her electrolytes in her water and a calcium supplement. She was eating and drinking but was still stuck. 2 days later, and 6 baths later, there is no change. She has watery stool, but isn’t lethargic. We still have her separated in the kennel but I’m really at a loss for what’s I should do. Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

Blocked oviduct is one of the most difficult conditions to treat, and has a low rate of good outcomes. So be aware of that.

It does sound like you've diagnosed your hen correctly. In addition to what you've already been doing, I would recommend 400mg of calcium citrate each day and placing the hen on a warm heating pad that has a moist bath towel on top.

Between the calcium and the moist constant heat, if the egg can come out, this should help it to do so.

When the egg gets to the vent and you see it's stuck there, try spraying the vent with warm water to moisten the tissue. You might also be able to run a gloved finger under the skin to help free the egg.

Blocked oviduct is one of the most difficult conditions to treat, and has a low rate of good outcomes. So be aware of that.

It does sound like you've diagnosed your hen correctly. In addition to what you've already been doing, I would recommend 400mg of calcium citrate each day and placing the hen on a warm heating pad that has a moist bath towel on top.

Between the calcium and the moist constant heat, if the egg can come out, this should help it to do so.

When the egg gets to the vent and you see it's stuck there, try spraying the vent with warm water to moisten the tissue. You might also be able to run a gloved finger under the skin to help free the egg.

Thank you! I’ll get the heating pad and the citrate. How would recommend giving it to her? In food water etc...

Alright, we gave it to her crushed in about a tablespoon of food. She is on the heating pad and still has no change. Thank you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom