Egg bound

Amy King

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2018
Hello I need advice. My ISA brown has been on a forever molt. Going on 2 years now. She’s been treated for lice and mites several times. That’s not the issue. After this falls molt she started feather up and I was hopeful but late last week I noticed she is again bald on her neck, back and belly. I don’t ever really see anyone picking on her. I brought her in to see if I kept her separated she would grow her feathers. On day 2 I put her back out because I felt bad. She is my super layer. She lays an egg everyday give or take a day here and there and her eggs are huge. For the 2 days she was inside she did not lay. Today I noticed she was just standing under a bush with her eyes closed. Not normal as she’s very busy when free ranging. I brought her inside and soaked her. She had some whitish clear looking liquid coming out her vent and was thinking gleet. I put rubber gloves on and Vaseline and could feel the egg very close to the opening. I gave her crushed tums and continue to lube her up and massage her gentle. She passed the egg finally. Yay. But the immediately passed a soft broken egg. I’m concerned because I’ve read that a chicken can die if an egg breaks inside of them. I don’t know what to do. I have her separated for the night. Any recommendations.
73650D78-2253-47E3-A1D8-142B9E5B67AB.jpeg

If ahe has been laying eggs, she is not molting. But she could be getting her feathers pulled out by others. It sounds like she is having some egg laying problems. I would consider starting some antibiotics, such as Fish Mox amoxicillin. That could help treat any infection in the reproductive tract. You can sometimes find that innfeed stores or online. I would give her some human calcium 1/2 tablet for the next 3 days. Make sure that she is drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom