egg bound??

Chickenslol

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
idk man, no clue
i have an austrolorp hen who seemed to be lethargic, she was up on the roost really early today and when i took her down and told her to play around she just went into a corner and sat down. i thought maybe her feet were cold and took her in to warm up but she’s not really walking around and is just sitting around. i checked her vent and it does seem like it’s pushing but i’m not sure. any ideas??

An eggbound chicken will stand up like a penguin and pulsate their tails up and down. I would isolate her and check her crop (esp first thing in the morning before she’s had anything to eat or drink) to make sure it’s emptying overnight. Take the opportunity to check the poop, and do a thorough check for external parasites and possibly a fecal float test for internal parasites.

An eggbound chicken will stand up like a penguin and pulsate their tails up and down. I would isolate her and check her crop (esp first thing in the morning before she’s had anything to eat or drink) to make sure it’s emptying overnight. Take the opportunity to check the poop, and do a thorough check for external parasites and possibly a fecal float test for internal parasites.
i checked her crop, she doesn’t seem to be eating or pooping

So the crop is empty?
When is the last time you wormed your flock? And how old is the hen, or is it still a pullet?
she’s got a small crop, shes 10 months, and we haven’t wormed out flock yet. oh and i should mention she’s had some pretty severe comb shrinking in the past few days. i assumed stress or a molt, but now i’m not sure

she’s got a small crop, shes 10 months, and we haven’t worked out flock yet
She’s probably too old for cocciadosis; I would bring a poo sample to a vet and have a fecal float test done and see about roundworms or tapeworms. Def check and make sure the crop is fully empty by the morning to rule out impacted crop.

well here’s a little update, i went back out there and she seems to just want to stay in the warm coop, but she can definitely move around and when i came in she left. i’m going with the assumption that she’s sleepy (insider source says the chickens woke up at three this morning) and i’ll check on her throughout the day. she can fly and move around fine, it just kinda looks like she’s cold. we’ll see!

well here’s a little update, i went back out there and she seems to just want to stay in the warm coop, but she can definitely move around and when i came in she left. i’m going with the assumption that she’s sleepy (insider source says the chickens woke up at three this morning) and i’ll check on her throughout the day. she can fly and move around fine, it just kinda looks like she’s cold. we’ll see!
Where do you live?

Back
Top Bottom