Egg bound?

Update: i was sure she would be dead this morning. She is still fighting. She doesnt look any better or worse. Lots of gurgling sounds coming from her crop. She doesnt stand, eat or drink from what I can tell so I will keep going with the deworming and monistat. I do see she had one small very liquid poop. For the deworming- last time I was lucky enough to get a farm vet advice and im kicking myself in the butt because she gave me the proper dilution to use for horse exodus-pyrantel but i lost it. So i eyeballed what I could remember (put 1ml of it into 25ml of water and giving her by syringe 0.5 ml per day with lots of water for 5 days). Her first dose was yesterday. Hopefully, this is what is causing the blockage.

Well. She died after all. Wanted to give her meds this morning but as soon as I would pick her up, brown/dark green goop would come out of her mouth so I tried vomiting her a bit. This time I wasnt as successful and I think she aspirated some and she died within 30 secondes of me making her vomit. I feel terrible because I know I caused the moment of her death but at the same time it was quick and I figured she would be dead within the next 24hrs seeing as she wasnt eating or drinking at all and meds were hard to administer. Maybe if I just let her be...it would have sorted itself out? This was my first death since starting keeping chickens 2 years ago. I couldnt help but wonder if I could determine the cause of her blockage so I examined her as much as I could (opened her crop). There was a LOT of grainy/food like substance and liquid but no obvious reason as to why she couldnt pass it. I worry this could happen to another one of my chickens. She went soooo fast...less than 48hrs. I didnt notice her activing any differently before that. Thx for all the advice here.

Back
Top Bottom