Egg bound?

FinnEllaMom

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 9, 2019
20210515_162359.jpg
please tell me is this possible if my chicken is egg bound? She is eating, drinking... but she isn't well. I checked where I believe the eggs come out, but, I don't know if I feel anything. What I've read is that an egg bound chicken can't poop. Is this true? And she is just sick?

Also, she has been given epsom salt bath, pedialyte with water & calcium. She has ate some boiled egg - yolk only & romaine lettuce.

An egg bound bird will have a very odd stance(penguin) and probably not be eating and drinking.

This is what I do when I have a bird tht is acting 'off'.
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor:
-their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.
Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

An egg bound bird will have a very odd stance(penguin) and probably not be eating and drinking.

I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor:
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can

-and their poops.

Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
Update - she is puckering @ her vent. Her abdomen is hard. She is currently in another epsom salt bath. She had a dirty bottom, so she has expelled something. But she is much weaker and getting worse. I really don't know what to do. I don't want her to suffer, but don't know if I should put her down... don't even know how to do that. Should I call my dogs vet? And advice would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom